Thursday, July 27, 2006

Me and VR Part II

UPDATE on my last post:

I sent a copy of the link to the governor. Thought he might like to know about situations like mine!

I got a call today (July 27, 2006) from my VR Counselor (VRC). The vendor asked about what my new van was. I'm not sure why she couldn't look at prior emails, or my website, but I told her. She conferenced me with the vendor and asked, and I answered, again.

The vendor said, that it would work (that's what VR's NY "checker" had said, too), and said:

  1. they needed the authorization (VRC said she'd FAX it to them, once she got it written out completely and ok'd by her supervisor, hopefully TODAY!)
  2. they had to order the parts (a week to 10 days to get in after the order)
  3. that he'd be "comfortable" with a completion date of August 25th. [This, of course, doesn't mean they'll WAIT until closer to that date... Just "in case of delays" getting parts, etc., so it may be an "at the latest" date. - bracketed are my thoughts -bs.]

KEWLNESS! At least it seems to be moving again!

Apparently, it can't be done in a day, as we originally thought. He said the day we brought the van in, they'd check measurements to see how far to move the seat, and where the hand-controls should be installed. Over that and the next day or so, they would move the seat and install the controls. The next day, they install the "scooter dock" (lift), and we'd come back that or the next day, make sure everything fit, the Crossroads Driver-Evaluation/Trainer would inspect, and make sure I could drive it, and we take it home!

My responsibility is to let the Crossroads counselor know when it will/may be, so she can make plans to be there when she needs to be, and I will do that by giving her a link to this entry. (JR - In case you missed it, they are "comfortable" with an 08/25 "completion date" for VR. Again, I'm not sure if that's WHEN it will be done, or an at the "latest" date.)

I will also send one to my father, so he's warned (got that Dad?) that we MAY need a ride back home from - then (maybe) 2-3 days later, back to - the vendor (Indy, South of 465). I will wait until I get the call from them and ask how we are to get home and back to them. Maybe someone there will drive us, or maybe we can "hitch" a ride back to from the Crossroads counselor, if she's doing training near here, to go back. (That's when she really needs to be there.)

BUT, it feels a LOT closer than it has since the first vendor was talked to.

YAY!

***

AND, I JUST got the following (after entering the above):


----- Original Message -----
From: [VR Counselor]
To: [me]
Sent:
Thursday, July 27, 2006 3:36 PM
Subject: RE: Sanders [VR COUNSELOR] -
HELP, PLEASE!

Bill, I just wanted to let you know that I just faxed the authorization for
the van modification to [vendor], with my supervisor's signature on the
authorization. [VRC]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading this and the previous posting I have hardly any words. This system we are existing in sucks. I can see you have been through a lot of misery, but you are not making excuses. You want to work and get your life back in order (unlike most) and the crummy system just keeps pushing you backwards.

They say you cannot fight city hall, and in this case the VR, but you can just keep fighting at it until they break. Much respect. Keep on their butts.

BigDaddyBS said...

Well, I'm not sure I blame "the system". I do blame bureaucracy and the fact that most government agencies apparently are trying to "shrink government" by shinking the support staff. Kinda amazing that the "upper levels" seem to remain constant while the people who actually do the work have to deal with more people and offices that one person can handle, isn't it?