Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Another Annoying Commercial & Voting

Ok... I'm sick and tired of the two General Insurance commercials we see fairly regularly on our local stations. If you haven't seen it, the commercial starts with ... a commercial ... more specifically, the end of a commercial, giving the number in a fast cadence: "Call 1-800-general NOW!" In one commercial, the guy is laying under his car, working on it, grabs the handy cordless phone laying by his side and calls. In the other, a cute girl is watching TV, picks up the phone, flips her long hair out of the way, and puts the phone to her ear. In both, they say they'd like to speak to "the general". The commercial goes on to describe some of the services offered, then a funky-looking animated general, driving a car toward the camera is displayed, and the phone number with cadence is repeated. Ok. so far, huh? Well, the in come the spouses. They both act somewhat suspicious, throwing their arms out, looking mad/disgusted/something like that, and say "[Honey] WHO ARE YOU TALKING TO?" (the male spouse says "Honey".) The person on the phone looks and smiles at the spouse, saying "The General!"

Why is this annoying? One - the cadence. I understand that it makes the number unforgettable. But even Gieko (sp?) has mixed up their commercials - the caveman, the gecko, and I think I've see even a different approach. I don't remember any other commercial for "the General". Safe Auto doesn't do an R Lee Ermey ("Mail Call") to DEMAND we call. Maybe the animated General logo is to soften the approach. But the other reason, REALLY gets on my nerves. Two - the spouses' attitudes when they ask who their significant other is calling. As I said, they act like "WHAT are you doing on the phone? Talking to your girl/boy-friend?" GEEZE! If I asked my wife (or she, me) that way, I doubt either of us would just smile and say "the General", and I don't know anyone else who would. Why is it that we would find this appealing? YES, all concerned are handsome/pretty young men and women, but those ATTITUDES...

On another note, before the election this past Tuesday, November 7, 2006, I wrote a piece I sent to a couple of papers (no response). It's about Politics - "Who's "best" for the position, the party, America? The dynamics of political ads, IMHO," and called Politics - Politicos and Parties. After I voted, I came home, and wrote a piece describing my experience (sent to the editors local newspaper - "The Lebanon (IN) Reporter") called Handicapped Voting at the National Guard Armory in Lebanon, Indiana. Check them out.

TTYL -BS

No comments: