Wednesday, September 17, 2008

America's Got Talent 2008 - 09/17/2008

Top 10 Show... Next will be Top 5.

Tonight: Paul Salos, Kaitlyn Maher, Donald Braswell, Jessica Price, Joseph Hall, Neal E Boyd, The Wright Kids, Queen Emily, Nuttin But Stringz, Eli Mattson.

Here's the page with the beginning of the videos from NBC http://www.nbc.com/Americas_Got_Talent/video/categories/season-3-highlights/35415/. The ones below are from this page tonight. Many of the other acts have videos there. Here are the two-minute replays of the shows (9/11 is the last one, tonight) - http://www.nbc.com/Americas_Got_Talent/video/categories/two-minute-replays/35417/. As I said... The videos, tonight, are all from NBC, and listed in their "newest". I didn't double-check to make sure they were last week's show.

Heros week. All are dedicating their performances to those who inspired them.

It's gonna be tough to choose a Top 5 tonight. They are all good. We're going to have to base it on performance tonight, whether they can sustain an hour-and-a-half show in Vegas, and whether they are a million dollar act. (Yes... I typed this after Piers' comment to Paul Salos... I hate it, but he's right.)

Paul Salos (Sinatra impersonator)
http://www.nbc.com/Americas_Got_Talent/video/clips/paul-salos/642121/
Pre-performance video: Ex-Pilot. Frank Sinatra has been an inspiration throughout his life. Singing "New York, New York". Failure is not an option. Not here to compete, but to win.
Performance: "New York, New York" Good job... Sounded like the "older" Frank. Piers buzzed early.
Critique: Piers: How's it feel to be in the Top 10? (Great). I think you've done Sinatra proud. I asked myself if you're a million dollar act. I think you're a million dollar guy, but not a million dollar act. Sharon: Thank God it's not up to Piers. It's up to the American Public whether they put you through or not. David: Very difficult song and you nailed it.
(Vegas should be calling him, even if he doesn't win!)

Kaitlyn Maher
http://www.nbc.com/Americas_Got_Talent/video/clips/kaitlyn-maher/646881/
Four-year-old. Singing for her Daddy, because it always puts a smile on his face. Her Dad's her hero... She loves him so much.
Performance: "I'll Be There" She didn't miss a word!
Critique: Piers: For 4yo and to remember all the words, it's amazing. Not going to criticize you, but I don't think it would be fair to put you on a Vegas stage. Sharon: Loved the song choice. Well done. David: I'm happy to have been on this journey with you. I'm so happy whenever I see you. And you know what? You're only four. You can come back for the next 70 years.
(She's great and cute as hell, but I really don't think she'd be able to do an hour-and-a-half show in Vegas! She was a bit shaky tonight... Didn't miss a beat, but...)

Donald Braswell
http://www.nbc.com/Americas_Got_Talent/video/clips/donald-braswell/646841/
Pre-performance video: To be in the Top 10 right now is unbelievable. I called my wife. Riding bike and was sideswiped. Doctors said he'd probably not sing again. I believe you have to keep driving and fighting. Now that I've got my voice back, I want to take it all the way. Wife is his hero.
Performance: "To Where You Are". Beautifully done.
Critique: Piers: Your popularity with the audience is extraordinary. There are lots of great singers tonight - They've outdone the variety acts. I'm just not sure that you are as good as some of the others. I'm just not sure. I ask myself if I'd buy your album or pay for your show, and I'm just not sure. Sharon: You look very sexy in those clothes. You are just fabulous at singing those romantic songs. David: I love your story, and I love that you keep coming back. I'd buy your album.
(He's in, I'm sure. ANYONE who like Josh Groban HAS to like him. He's right for a Vegas show, and Sharon's right. I'm sure my wife will vote for him! I probably will too, unless something major happens. My wife hopes he puts out an album, even if he doesn't make it.)

Jessica Price
http://www.nbc.com/Americas_Got_Talent/video/clips/jessica-price/642081/
Pre-performance video: Jerry: Just a few weeks ago, was working on an assembly line in a factory. Her mother is her angel. She has always told her to follow her dreams, even if she (Jessica) felt she couldn't any more. If it weren't for her mother, she wouldn't be here.
Performance: "In the Arms of an Angel" Standing Ovation, including David. Deservedly so.
Critique: Piers: Every time I've seen you, there's been somthing missing. But you've listened to us... I got it all tonight. Finally. Sharon: Sarah McGlocklin, if she's watching, would love it. You've finally found a style for you that fits. You did that song such justice tonight. You're finding yourself musically. David: You did it. You sang that song as good as anybody. You could win this competition. (David was crying through most of the song. As was her mother.)
(Wonderful. She should make it through, on the basis of this song, alone. We'll see.)

Joseph Hall (Elvis impersonator)
http://www.nbc.com/Americas_Got_Talent/video/clips/joseph-hall/646901/
Pre-performance video: Started with thousands of people, and it's down to 10, and I'm part of that top 10. Elvis, of course, is his hero. He's doing a song, to pay tribute to Elvis, and Elvis never did the song.
Performance: "A Little Less Conversation", the remix. He's got the looks, all the moves, and sounded VERY good, tonight. Words were a BIT hard to hear, but... Audience was on their feet, and the girls were all screaming throughout.
Critique: Piers: Judging you purely on your singing tonight, that was terrible. HOWEVER, on a positive note, there is something about you that is incredibly entertaining. You have the moves, the looks, the sex-appeal. If you just had the voice, you'd have it all. Sharon: Couldn't hear the whole song, because everyone was screaming. Definitely getting more confidence. It's fun. David: I don't know what Piers is smoking. You're absolutely on your game, your attitude is on it.
(Yep... He's got the look, the moves, the attitude, and MUCH of the time, the voice. He's good.)

Neal E Boyd
http://www.nbc.com/Americas_Got_Talent/video/clips/neal-e-boyd/642082/
Pre-performance video: A chance encounter in a school corridor introduced him to his hero. Always the fat kid. Been lucky enough to have people in his life to inspire him. Heard him singing Pavarati in the corridor, asked him to audition for the choir, and when he started singing, people stopped teasing him. Taking a chance... Popular song with an operatic twist to it.
Performance: "All By Myself" Audience was quiet until he hit high notes. Then the place erupted.
Critique: Piers: Song was a big risk. Like watching a volcano. Nothing much was happening, then BAM. BUT... I'll tell you this. You're gonna come back next week. No doubt in my mind. Sharon: When you first started, I though "Oh dear, what did he do", but when he got to the chorus, she got goosebumps. When she hears the voice and the power... David: When he kicked it into high gear. I wouldn't buy insurance against you losing this competition, because right now, you're the front-runner.
(I thought, even when it was the slow part, he did well. The thing was, it was this one was too long before he kicked in his voice. He should make it through, though. The audience LOVED it when he hit those power notes and he went higher. I think the problem was that there were two verses before the refrain, and it's a slow song. Piers said that women do that song. Then why did Eric Carmen make it a hit? I've not heard anyone else do that! Celine Dion does it, but...)

The Wright Kids
http://www.nbc.com/Americas_Got_Talent/video/clips/the-wright-kids/642021/
Pre-performance video: Love the Jackson Five because they're a family group like us. Hero is their music teacher. She's really nice. We want to go out there and make her proud.
Performance: "ABC" Audience standing and clapping throughout.
Critique: Piers: Look, I love you three. I have three kids, myself. If they got up in front of 23 millions americans I'd be so proud. It's gonna be tough to get through to the top 5. Sharon: When I heard you were doing this song, I thought "Oh no", but playing the instruments yourself took over for the dancing. Good job. David: I love you guys. I thought last week was better than this week, but look at how far you GOT. You have a long career ahead of you, because you obviously have talent.
(I think the song selection was wrong for tonight. They did great, but if they'd have done something with more harmonies, and more ... action, I think they'd have made it through. As it is, I don't think they'll make it. Sorry, guys. You're great, but...)

Queen Emily
http://www.nbc.com/Americas_Got_Talent/video/clips/queen-emily/642025/
Pre-performance video: Inspired by Jennifer Holliday (who originated on Broadway). Saw her in church when she was 10 years old. Song is for her grandmother. When she was passing on, she told her to believe in herself. She will sing her heart out to make it to the top five.
Performance: "And I Am Telling You" Standing Ovation, including all judges.
Critique: Piers: Your grandmother was right about you. You are somebody special. There's always a moment when someone comes out and rips the stage apart, and you just did it. Sharon: There are a lot of people who have brought many talents. You have a sensational voice. You have stage presence. I can see you entertaining an audience in Vegas. David: In the beginning I said we need to see the money players. You hit it out of the park. I'm coming to see your show in Vegas whether you win or not. (Jerry - Is it crossing your mind that you might win? Queen - That's ALL I've been thinking about.)
(Excellent. She's through for sure.

Nuttin But Stringz
http://www.nbc.com/Americas_Got_Talent/video/clips/nuttin-but-stringz/646861/
Pre-performance video: Mom is their hero. Single mother kept them on the right road. She bought them their first violins. The first time they played this song was in their basement. When they played it for their mother, she cried. The risk is, they created the song.
Performance: "Winner" Nice song. "Dream Big" they said at the end.
Critique: You're the only non-singing act left. But if I asked myself one question, "which would I pay to see in Vegas", it's you two, every time. Sharon: I love this song. Just when you think someone comes along, they've got it in the bag, someone else comes along. (All their songs are original music.) There's no stopping you, you're so versitile. I want to say one thing, I want to meet your mum, because she did one helluva job. David: Every time you come out, you're fresh. We'll see you in the finals. Count on it!
(They are great. They took a chance, it wasn't quite as ... volitile ... as other songs they've done, but it was excellent. MAN it's getting hard to choose five!)

Eli Mattson
http://www.nbc.com/Americas_Got_Talent/video/clips/eli-mattson/646842/
Pre-performance video: Dreams of matching the success of his hero. Honestly thought he could do the song a little better. Biggest hero is Elton John. Saw him when he was 12 years old. EJ is just Royalty on the piano. Watching him, I thought, in my head, that's what I want to do. (Sharon: Gotta be careful not to do an impersonation of Elton John.)
Performance: "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word" Good job. Hard to do a song like that and NOT sound like Elton John.
Critique: Piers: It felt pretty great. I felt last week you held back a bit. Forget the singing for a moment. The piano playing was excellent. If Elton gets a cold, he's calling you. Sharon: I've got some good news... Elton IS watching tonight. Fantastic. Such a tough contest. I just hopes everyone picks up the phones and votes. David: I was thinking, "Oh man, he's got to follow all those players." Tonight, you nailed it. You threw this competition into disarray. Look in the mirror, and say "Yeah, baby, I DID it!"

As Piers said during Sharon's critique of Eli, "Vote for the talent, not a sympathy vote." MAN... Is it hard!

Tomorrow (Thursday) at 8, we find out who makes it to the Top 5.
Next Wednesday is the finals. October 17th for the final show.

I will repeat what I've said a number of times before. I REALLY hope that producers are paying attention to this show. There are going to be a LOT of people who don't win that SHOULD be in Vegas, or recording albums, or playing all over the US. This Top 10 group is one of the best I've ever seen. Every ONE of them should be doing SOMETHING after this show is over, including Kaitlyn. The only "problem" I see with her is her age, and whether she could remember lyrics to a full show's worth of songs. But I CAN see her doing a few with someone else... Are you listening, producers? America's Got Talent brings it almost every week. There are also people in the Top 20 or even beyond.

Choices:
Wife: Donald Braswell, Joseph Hall, Neal E Boyd, Queen Emily, Nuttin But Strings
Me: Donald Braswell, Jessica Price, Neal E Boyd, Queen Emily, Eli Mattson.

No comments: