Tuesday, September 07, 2010

America's Got Talent (AGT) (2010) - September 07, 2010 - The Top 10

Live from Hollywood

The acts (in no particular order but the nights they won):
Anna and Patryk
Michael Grimm
Taylor Mathews
Prince Poppycock
Christina and Ali
Michael Grasso
Fighting Gravity
Jeremy van Schoonhoven
Jackie Evancho
Studio One Young Beast Society

Also Enrique Iglesias

Out of these 10 Acts, 4 will make it to the finals, next week.
Everyone is going for $1,000,000, Headlining the National Tour of 24 cities, including Vegas, with Jerry Springer as host. Starts October 21st in Oakland California, then

Now, there's no judges' picks. America only chooses from now on.

They show the judges and the Top 10 acts talking.

Piers: It's going to be very tough to choose. This is the strongest group we've ever had. They have to be flawless.

Act #1 - Studio One Young Beast Society (Dancer Troupe)
Piers: What a start. I'll tell you what I really like as a troupe. Every time we see you, it's bigger and better.
Sharon: As usual, your passion and ambition show in your dance. I know you've all been injured at one time or another. Absolutely phenomenal.
Howie: We've all see dance, and I've never seen it combined like you did. And I can honestly say, you're the best act we've seen tonight.
(They had some great stunts in that dance. I didn't see any slips, and they looked GOOD. There's some fierce competition, tonight.)

Segment #2

Act #2 - Christina and Ali (Singers)
"I Love You I Do"
Sharon: I have to say, Christina, your voice, my goodness me... Those notes. Better and better. I love to see your smiles and your moving. I have to say your voices are getting stornger each week.
Howie: You have a nice enjoyable act. It's scary for me that you're up against so many good death-defying acts. But you do make us happy.
Piers: I was thinking, I wonder how your parents feel watching you. I think you two have blossomed into these natural entertainers. You're not the best technical singers, but you make us feel good by being there. And that's half the battle of being entertainers.
(They're cute, they can be bubbly, and knowing their backstory, it's great that they can do what they do. It would be nice to see them make it, but I don't think they're quite a strong enough act. The backstory has helped them along. Now we will see if America thinks that's enough.)

Segment #3

Act #3 - Jeremy vanSchoonhoven (Stunt Biker)
He built the set, and couldn't practice. Hopeing he'd heal up from last week. He did it on four practices. Pretty imressive.
Howie: I thought from last week, how could you top that. It was amazing. You hit every mark.
Piers: What do you say. We've got some great singers, great dancers. But you are a crowd-pleaser.
Sharon: Every time you perform, my stomach is in knots. Every time, you get more and more confident.
(They're not saying a year, headlining in Vegas any more. So, now, they will headline the AGT National Tour including Vegas. This, I think, gives acts like Jeremy a much better chance, because they don't have to perform for 90 minutes at a time. They get the headline, but the show will be mixed up with other AGT acts, some of whom can perform for longer periods of time. He's got a good chance, here.)

Segment #4

Act #4 - Taylor Mathews (Singer)
"What A Wonderful World"
Piers: Who decided on the song? (I did.) Who decided on that arrangement? (I did.) ... pause ... That's a pretty brave thing to do. And you know something? That's your best performance yet. You have just put yourself right back into the competition.
Sharon: You find these songs that no one would think you could do, and you arrange it, and you make it your own.
Howie: You are now in your comfort zone. Last week you took a shot. And like whomever said it, you're back to where you were when you sang Over the Rainbow. I loved it.
(That was a great arrangement, and performance. As they said, his best, yet. Too many good acts!)

Segment #5

Act #5 - Anna & Patryk (Ballroom Dancers)
Sharon: The sign of a true professional... You slipped, you get right back up and move on. And I loved the choreography.
Howie: You were wonderful. You really are wonderful. I'm sure millions of people wish they had just a smidgen of your talent.
Piers: I know why you're crying, because you fell over. Will that little girl get up. And up you jumped, you carried on as if nothing happened, and that is what being a star is all about.
(I didn't see the fall for some reason. But the rest of the dance reminded me of - and one of the judges mentioned it - of Jim Carrey and Cameron Diaz in The Mask. I kept waiting for someone in the band to say "Hey, Patchuko". I thought they did a great job. And as Sharon said, everyone slips on stairs now and then. All you can do is get u and go on, and that's exactly what they did. The rest of the dance was fantastic.)

Segment #6

Enrique Iglesias performs "Baby I Like It"

Segment #7

Act #6 - Fighting Gravity (Blacklight/Effects act)
Howie: I don't want to say it too much, but Wow. Every time we see it, you up it. You added lasers, you told a story. You guys are already stars, you deserve to go on.
Piers: I think what we're already impressed by with your act, is you keep getting bigger and better. You've taken a big chance with your lives (they all quit school to pursue this). Of all the acts tonight that say Las Vegas, it's this act.
Sharon: I've said it before... Cirque de Soleil, Blue Man Group, and Fighting Gravity. America's gonna love you, and vote you through.
(I, personally, think that even if they don't make it through, they will HAVE an act in Vegas, Atlatic City, Hollywood, damn-near wherever they want. They are just THAT good.)

Sgement #8

The Cast of American Idiot and Sarah Mcglothlin

Act #7 - Michael Grimm (Singer)
"Let's Stay Together"
Piers: Another contestant has taken a big gamble tonight... You without your guitar. A brilliantly-chosen song, perfectly executed.
Sharon: I think the best thing you've done for yourself is get rid of that guitar. Congratuations.
Howie: You know how I feel, and I'm glad you got rid of that guitar, too. I think you're the best of the singers we have, and believe you deserve to go on. I don't know if they showed it on TV, but you connected with the audience, and had almost every lady in here...
(Great version. He is definitely a front-runner.)

Segment #9

Act #8 - Michael Grasso (Magician/Illusionist)
(Brought back as a Wildcard, and now Top 10)
Sharon: Each week you step it up. I mean you deliver every week. America's got a big task tonight. I mean four ... four of you go through.
Howie: I crown you now the King of Magic. How did you do it? (I don't know I wasn't watching.) Vote for him, because I want him here next week, and if you make it, you have to tell me. (Deal.)
Piers: Sharon said it... America's got an incredible task tonight. If you love any of the acts tonight, vote for them. If they loved you as we did, vote for him.
(He's always surprising, and he does have style. The "pinned a girl" into a plexiglas box (with help) with swords, then hid her behind a curtain, stepped behind the curtain, and the girl showed almost immediately. They pulled the box out, and there was what appeared to be him in the box. They pulled the swords out of the box, and there was another girl in a black tearaway suit. They came to the "helper", stripped off the outer clothes, and there was Michael. Pretty good trick. Damn he's good, and stylish.)

Segment #10

Act #9 - Prince Poppycock (Costumed Operatic Singer)
Poppycock's tribute to America
Howie: I don't know if this is what the forefathers had in mind. It's amazing what's going on in your head.
Piers: I have been rendered temporarily speechless. You do put on this amazing extraveganca.
Sharon: I mean specticle... You go from Opera, to Freddie Mercury, to the Star Spangled Banner... There's just no end to you, Prince Poppycock.
(This guy is great. Very campy, but sincere. I didn't get anything at all to think he was making a joke of patriotism. It was just the way they'd have done it many years ago in Burlesque. Very flamboyant. I think he stays in the Poppycock character until the makeup comes off, too. LOL)

Segment #11

Act #10 - Jackie Evancho (Operatic Singer - 10yo)
Piers: I don't know what to say. What do you say about a performance like that? I've never seen a performance like that on this show, and I've very rarely seen it. I knew, when you hit those high notes, if I'm still alive, in 40 years, that I was one of those who helped discover you.
Sharon: It was heavenly. I didn't understand one word you were singing. It was heavenly. It was one of those performances I will never ever forget.
Howie: Did you ever swallow a grownup? It sounds like you did. You are just amazing. Words cannot describe, and I can't tell you how happy I am to here the night you sang for Piers Morgan.

My wife's choices: Fighting Gravity, Michael Grimm, Michael Grasso, Prince Poppycock (didn't pick Jackie, because she's already a star. With that logic, ALL of them are there, I'm sure.)
I find it hard to choose. I want them ALL to go through. I think every one of them will be stars in the near future.
Ok... Have to get it down to four: Fighting Gravity, for sure. Prince Poppycock. (Though, using my wife's logic, both are already stars.) Michael Grasso, and (just to be different from my wife) Taylor Mathews.

I will try to connect to the videos of tonight's acts tomorrow in the list at the beginning of the results. If they don't have tonight's up, it will be the one before.

Cya Tomorrow! ;-)

No comments: