Tuesday, August 04, 2009

America's Got Talent - 2009 (08/04/2009)

First Top 40 show. From now on, America votes on the acts shown. This is a 2-hour show, live from Hollywood.

Simon has asked the judges to bring back up to eight acts. Wild Card acts.

Performing tonight, 12 acts: Diva League, Thia Megia, The Platt Brothers, Arcardian Broad, Acrodunk, Grandma Lee, Mosaic, BreakSk8, Drew Thomas Magic, Manuella Horn, Kevin Skinner, and Lake Houston Dance.

Tomorrow night, we'll find out who is staying in the competition. I'm not sure when the Wild-Card acts will be shown. I believe all of those listed made it through the auditions. Judges can buzz the acts, BUT OUR votes count.

BreakSk8. From Kokomo. (Dancers on skates)
New stuff... Choreography, props, extra dancers. To Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal". Piers: No doubt you're talented. Here's my problem. Michael Jackson, rest his sole, there's a reason he didn't dance on skates. Guys on wheels are too slow. Sharon: I thought it was a great way to open the show. Loved the music. I think there's a long way for you to go. I think you'll show us longer, faster... David: I like the whole setup. Even though the girls are beautiful, you don't need 'em. (I thought it was pretty good. I hope they go through.)

Break

Thia Megia. 14yo. From California. (Singer)
Song: "It's the Climb" (or "Always Gonna Be Another Mountain")
Sharon: Oh Thia. You did not disappoint me tonight. The thing I love about you is you're 14, you look age-appropriate. It's great to see a 14yo without showing her midrift. I want to see you grow on this show. David: You came to play, and you nailed it. Congratulations. Keep the emotions. Piers: One word: Brilliant. (Nice song. She's good.)

Break

The Platt Brothers. From California (comedic acrobatic dancers)
David: You guys have a uniqueness. I like the humor and the phyicality. Piers: Here's my problem. I like you guys a lot. Million dollar competition. I don't know what your act is. You have to work out what the theater is. Sharon: They're right. You have to sort out. I know you're trying to cram it all in. Slow it down, and keep to that vision. But I do like you. Nick: How do you feel about the comments: I think they're spot on. When we do it, it seems funny. It does take an outside eye. (They are good, but this one seemed too ... mixed. Judges were right. I'd like to see how they take the criticism, so would like to see them again. We'll see.)

Break

The Diva League. Transvestites/transexuals (dancer/singers). Want to be the "Glampires of Hollywood".
Piers buzzes early. Piers: First of all, congratulations on the song choice, because it was quite disturbing. ... drag queens that can't dance, is not what America needs right now. Sharon: I love it. It's fun, it's entertaining. It's not rocket science, it's entertainment. David: I agree with Sharon. (VERY strange. The song was strange and I didn't know it. Their "dancing" was more "posing". I don't think so.)

Break

Manuela Horn (Dominitrix singer/dancer - dressed as a "sexy" housewife)
Pussycat Dolls "Dontcha". "Dontcha wish your momma could cook like me". David & Piers buzzed early. Piers finally buzzed. Just starting to yodel. Piers: Manuela. What happened to the seven foot yodeling dominitrix? It was a train-wreck. It was like putting Hannibal Lector through and getting Miley Cyrus. Sharon: Everything we loved about you, you stripped away. David: We voted you through because we loved the character. Sharon: The pacing of the set was too slow. (She was trying to get the sexy part in.) David: Don't give up. (I don't think so. I was surprised she made it through the auditions at the cost of other, better acts. I know she was trying to show another side, but still...)

Break

Grandma Lee. 75yo comedian. From Florida.
David: Grandma Lee, you're not gonna go to Vegas in ashes. You're gonna go to Vegas. Piers: What I love about you, is you come on the show, at an advanced age, and you give it everything. And you have great comic timing. (She's good. It was best when she "got" the judges, bring out a Britsh flag colored pair of underwear, and said something Piers leaving them at her house, then another pair colored like Baywatch shorts, saying she got David in the limo.)

Mosaic. Acapella singing group of six.
Song: "Very Superstitious" into "I Wish Those Days Would Come Back"(?)
David: I thought you started off a little light, but you got better and better and better. If you make it through, start with the energy you had at the end. Piers: I was barely great. I mean, even Stevie Wonder doesn't do it acapella. Tough. Sharon: I thought at the beginning there was too much. When you got to the end with the pure harmonies and vocals... S-Smokin. (I think they were great.)

Break (Nick: Up next: One of the most dangerous acts we've EVER had on the show.)

Acrodunk
Standing ovation from the crowd. Sharon: I thought, Ok. How can they do this in Vegas... How can they make this a show. And you just did. David: Hunks in trunks can dunk. I did not think in my dreams you could be better and you were. You're on your way, man. Piers: Did you get that last one in? I reckon you missed that last one. I'm kidding. That was one of the most extraordinary acts I've ever seen on America's Got Talent. I could watch you again, right now. (They were good. It was a bit hard to follow, but that is probably what makes them good. And they never missed a shot.)

Break

Arcardian Broad (Dancer) from Florida
Starts off playing piano (classical) breaks off dancing to Footloose.
David: All those kids teasing you in school are watching you, now. You might even win this competition. Piers: I don't want to see you playing the piano ever again. let me explain. You're not a bad pianist, but you are a dancer. If you dance like you did in the second half of that performance, you will go all the way. Sharon: It was nice to see that you are not one-dimensional. I think the piano player was a bit too long. You're 13 years old. You are brilliant. (It was surprising to see him play piano, and he was good, I thought. But he IS a dancer. And he's great. He should make it.)

Break

Drew Thomas Magic (stylish magician) New trick, never been done before, even by them. from Florida.
Piers: Wow. I don't know how you did that, again. Magicians, as you know, don't normally go very well. If you want to be the next David Copperfieild, you can't come out in your old shirt and jeans. Sharon: Look like a star. David: You know, you could win this whole thing. You came to play. Good job. (It was a bit slow, but Damn! How'd he do that? It was a single camera shot!)

Break

Kevin Skinner (the singing chicken farmer) from Kentucky.
Song: "To Make You Feel My Love"
Sharon: Oh, Kevin. You are such an honest man. Let me also tell you, the new 'do? Fantastic. You're so genuine. Well done. I'm so happy you're hear with us. David: You know you come out here and talk like and then you sing, with such heart. Piers: This is the only show on earth where a guy can go from catching how many chickens in a night? And can sing like you did. (missed a bit, there). (He is a REAL country singer. I think he did a great job.)

Break (One more act to perform)

Lake Houston Dance (large group of kids. These are one of the wild-cards.) from Houston.
To a new, fast version of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"
David: I am so glad you came back on this show. THIS is what we're talking about. You had attitude, you were fun, congratulations, you're on your way. Piers: I didn't think you were as good as your audition. I prefered the afros, for one. There was too much on stage. I loved your dancing, but you were falling over sleeping bags, and other stuff. Sharon: There are so many of you, it's hard to focus on one. I hope your friends in Houston get to stay up late and vote for you.

Wife: BreakSk8, The Platt Brothers, Mosaic, Drew Thomas Magic, Kevin Skinner.
Me: BreakSk8, Arcadian Brand, Mosaic, Drew Thomas Magic, Kevin Skinner.
I liked others, too (Platt Bros, Grandma Lee and Acrodunk, but we only vote for five, each.

We'll see who makes it through, tomorrow.

See you then.

Here are the Season 4 highlights from NBC: http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/video/categories/season-4-highlights/1094635/ and the Season 4 full episodes: http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/video/categories/season-4/1127763/.

Full show link: http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/video/episodes/?vid=1142106#vid=1142106 Enjoy!

No comments: