Tuesday, August 18, 2009

America's Got Talent - 2009 (08/18/2009)

Third show of the Top 40.

Tonight: FootworkINGz, G-Force, Lawrence Beaman, Hairo Torres, Mario and Jenny, Bri, Dave Johnson, Pixie Mystere, Jeffery Ou, Marcus Terell and the Serenades, Wildcards: Jay Mattioli, and U4RIA Dance Group.

Last week, between Tony Hoard & Rory and Charles DeWayne. Piers: I find it easy to be right, unlike the dog who dropped everything that came his way, others dropped the ball... Sharon: Excuse me... Excuse me... If you're a singer, you have to be a GREAT singer. David: Delicious, Hoff the charts, Hoffalicious.

First up: FootworKINGz from Chicago. (Dance group)
Piers: I'm not sure if you are one of the best dance groups we've ever had or THE best dance group... Sharon: Brilliant choreography. You are the KINGZ at what you do. David: Hoff the charts. How are you going to top it next week. I'm telling you guys, you're on the way to the top 10.
(Nice... Not sure if one guy fell on the last move, but if he did, he was hurt pretty bad last night.)

Break

Marcus Terell and the Serenades from Missouri (new girls) (singer)
"Release Me"(?) Sharon: Oh, dear, Marcus, how fabulous are you. And the ladies, you have smoking voices. This is what we me, you see, Piers, if you sing... David: We were right. You got new girls. And they can sing. Piers: This was big pressure for you tonight. You could either sink or swim. I hope you understand why we were so adamant about changing the girls. (Marcus: Chemistry is good.) (He LOOKED like a Vegas act. The girls didn't prance around as the originals did, but it was obvious they were "part of the group". New girls worked. Maybe if he makes it to Vegas, he can get the original Serenades some jobs as background singers/dancers. They gave up an awful lot for him to get to this point.)

Break

Pixie Mystere from New Jersey (Kid dance troup)
"(Let Me Be a) Dancing Fool" (Buble(?)) - David: How do you feel about going to school in Las Vegas. If you make it, your show will probably be at 4:00 in the afternoon. Piers: I'm so disappointed. I haven't hit my buzzer once tonight. You came back with a great choreographed routine. We had fun. Sharon: You are definitely Pixie Power. Magic. Usually when we get these dance groups, there are two or three brilliant ones, and the dodgy ones are in the back. You are all brilliant. (Very good, no... Great. But why don't people complain about some of the dance moves THEY did, instead of Miley Cyrus holding onto a pole that was used to keep her balance on a movable cart? I mean, they are MUCH younger, and doing Rockette moves.)

Break

Jay Mattioli from Virginia (magician)
Piers buzzed,. Sharon buzzed. Piers: The point about magic is it's supposed to be surprising. I've seen all of that stuff. Sharon: What are we going to do with you. When you brought out the scarf, I thought oh no, he won't and then you did. You just added a contemporary track to a standard magic act. David: You have to be careful with scarves and stuff, because you're playing to a big auditorium, and people in the back need to see it. I liked your attitude, I liked your presentation. I don't know if it's enough to make it to the next round. (It was pretty standard magic, but his attitude was pretty cool. It was pretty close-up magic, so, he may not make it. He's good, though.)

Break

Bri from Vegas (singer and keyboardist)
"Poker Face"(?) - Sharon: You took a huge risk by trying to make the song your own. You did it. You made it your own. There's nothing negative to say. David: You came, you made it your own, the dancers were a little scary, but then it kicked in. Piers: Not much excites me, these days in my old age. That did excite me. You have got exactly the right package for the right time. (I didn't really like the song - at least the part she played - but she did do it well, showed her vocal ability, and it changed up from sultry to rock. She's cute and the judges were right. We'll see.)

Break

U4RIA Dance Crew from Florida (Dance group)
David: You guys are Hoffnuts. Dance number in an insane asylum. I loved it. I don't know why. Very sexy in a very strange way. Piers: Catrina. You're scary. You are the first wild-card act I'm pleased to have back. The dancing has been unbelievable. Sharon: I loved the routine. A great deal of fun involved. I don't know if the dancing is technically good enough. (Didn't impress me. It was KINDA fun, but... Something seemed to be lacking.)

Dave Johnson from Washington (Comedic singer/songwriter)
(Life-long fear of performing in public. This is the guy that did the love song to David Hasselhoff.)
"The Golden Girls" - Piers buzzed. Sharon buzzed. David buzzed. Piers: The Golden Girls were hot, I agree. Dave, you weren't hot tonight. I didn't get it. I don't think most of the audience did, either. I just wasn't funny. Sharon: Kind of a folkiness going on with funny lyrics. David: Kinda like the Smothers Brothers without the Smothers or the Brothers. Thanks for singing about me in the beginning. (He sounded like one of the comedians on Bob and Tom. Not quite as good - at least this song wasn't - but it's a start. He should continue doing what he does, and now he's played for more than 20, he should consider going to open mike nights at comedy clubs. He will need a little speaking "schtick" though.)

Break

Hairo Torres from Oregon (acrobatic break dancer)
He came out looking like Erkle. "Everybody Dance Now". Sharon: You come out here looking like Jerry Lewis on acid. But you moved... You're a great contortionist. You are unique. David: I think you're like the weirdest dancer I've ever seen. But great, and entertaining. Piers: I agree with David. You are a bit strange, but you're also very entertaining. I think you need to think about the choreography. For a 90 minute set in Vegas, I don't think this would work. You've got to think outside the box. (He did some VERY strange moves. I did think he was entertaining. But for a 90 minute show in Vegas? This is 90 seconds, and he was a little tired. How would he do 90 minutes. He IS a solo. But MAN is it fun to watch. We'll see.)

Break

G-Force from Ohio (three - young - girl rock group)
Piers buzzed. David: You guys are always my favorite from the very beginning. I'm not gonna say anything negative, but your vocals were off a little bit tonight. Get those right, you have a great career ahead of you. Piers: I think the vocals were way off tonight. If you can get the vocals right, you have the potential to be a great act. Sharon: I think some of it was an eight-year-old on drums realizing that so many people are watching. Work on those vocals, and you could be a great act. (For their age, I think they did a fantastic job. Vegas, though? I see them on Disney Channel. Think about it.)

Break

Jeffery Ou from Texas (classical keyboardist)
He played a little classical music then did "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" (couldn't hear the piano. That wasn't his fault, though.)
David: I don't know. We couldn't hear the piano. It's a little hard to make an judgment. I liked the dancing girls, but you don't need them. Piers: We clearly had a problem. The Elton John part we couldn't hear. I would have loved to have heard that part. (One of the girls kicked the cable out.) Sharon: I know we all wanted you to play something current, but I think we preferred the mad professor. (The audio was lost in the 2nd half. I hope people let him through. He was pretty good, and WAY out of his "comfort zone". If they don't automatically pass him through if he doesn't win the top 5, they need to bring him back for another shot. It's unfair to vote based on PART of his act. And, far as the dancing girls go, they worked for this act. They wouldn't, necessarily for the classical part, but... )

Break

Mario and Jenny from Vegas (husband and wife - dangerous juggler)
Juggles flaming electric guitars, then spins a flaming cube, then blows fire.
Sharon: You know that I adore you. You always bring an element of danger. You're a great dancer Jenny. The fire, the danger. You belong in Vegas. David: Every time you come back, you bring more and more to the performance. Piers: That was near to a Vegas act. America will have to decide. I'm glad it's out of my hands. (They LOOKED like a Vegas act, tonight. I've seen the stuff done before, but not like this. They are good. They SHOULD go through.)

Break

Last act:
Lawrence Beaman from California (singer)
"You Are So Beautiful" Piers standing O. Sharon: Smooth like velvet. That voice. You can touch it, it's so smooth. Great song choice. David: When you first came out and sang "Old Man River", I thought, "I hope he can sing Pop". With tonight, all the others are trembling. Piers: I think you're the new Barry White. I thought you are the nearest thing to a guaranteed, nail-down star we have produced on this show. (Not sure if it was a great song-choice, but he was VERY good! And I also thought of Barry White.)

This is tough, tonight. Everyone was good, if not impressive.

Wife: Marcus Terell, Bri, Hairo Torres, Jeffrey Ou, Mario & Jenny
Me: FootworKINGz, Marcus Terell, Hairo Torres, Mario and Jenny, Lawrence Beaman

Tomorrow: Ashley Tisdale and Doughtry will be here for the results so.

Link to the full-episode video: http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/video/episodes/?vid=1147472#vid=1147472

See ya then!

No comments: