Tuesday, August 25, 2009

America's Got Talent - 2009 (08/25/2009)

Last Quarter-Final: Ishaara, Coney Island Chris, Matt & Anthony, Pam Martin's Top Dogs, African High Fliers, Erik and Rickie, The Eriam Sisters, Mia Boostrom, Recycled Percussion, Barbara Padilla, and the Wildcards: Drew Stevyns and the Lollipop Girls.

Ishaara from Berkley, California (Bollywood and modern dance)
Piers: What a wonderful way to start the show. I think you have an incredible freshness about you. You're having fun and so are we. Sharon: This is what I mean by "If you dance, you've got to be different." Sexy and exotic. David: America's got ... Bollywatch! You guys are by far the best one (dance act) we've got. (Nice. They are an entertaining and interesting group.)

Break

Barbara Padilla from Texas (Operatic singer who had cancer)
Sharon: What a magnificent woman you are. You've taken my breath away. So perfect, the performance, the way you look, you are a star. David: There is a saying, "You are exactly where you're supposed to be in life. You are spiritually blessed. Piers: Look at you. The reason Simon Cowell created these shows is so people like you, a great mum, living her dream... You've raised the bar so high tonight, I don't anyone beating you. (Excellent. She should make it through, if America has ANY taste!)

Break

Pam Martin's Top Dogs from Texas (Dog act)
Dancing to "Now That I Can Dance". David: You know what, there's another act that had a lot of dogs, and they're playing in Hollywood every night, now. Even if you don't win, you have a great act. Piers: I was sure I was gonna buzz you. But Spike did not make a mistake. Sharon: Pam, you are just the best, and Spike is incredible. (Pretty good.)

Break

African High Fliers from Florida (acrobatics)
Song: I Like to Move it Move it". Piers buzzed. Piers: Eh, well ... Here's why I buzzed you. When I saw Barbara earlier, I thought I could watch her for an hour. I didn't think you raised the bar enough tonight. Sharon: We told you before that you needed to add other elements to the act. I don't know if you added enough. David: I don't know what they were watching, but I loved you. From Kenya to America to the biggest stage. If you don't make it, you are STILL a Vegas act. (I don't know that they could carry a full 90-minute show by themselves. With others, sure. They ARE good at what they do.)

Break

Mia Boostrom from Massechusettes (singer - Didn't make it past Las Vegas last year)
Song: Hallelujah. Sharon: Mia, who knew. That's a huge, huge song that you took on and you did it. You are unique, and it's great to be unique. You've blown me away. David: You know Mia it's just amazing, when you started, you were 14-15, now you're 16. Look at how far you've come. You're beautiful and classy. Piers: I thought you missed some notes. To be honest, do I rate you higher than (other singers), and to be honest, I can't. (It was a great song selection. Piers was right on the final high notes, she was a BIT off, but still, a great performance.)

Break

Erik and Rickie from Washington (state) (kids - ballroom dancers)
Sharon & David standing ovation. David: You guys are so little I couldn't find you. Then you dance so great. Rickie you attitude is so great, so cool. Erik, you are the man. Loved the choreography. Piers: Have you been doing some secret practicing behind Rickie's back? Because in the audition she was much better than you. Tonight, you were the MAN. Sharon: Just the right amount of drama brought into the dance. I know there are millions of people who adore what you're doing. I just hope they vote, vote, vote for you. (Wonder if, whichever way this goes, they'll make an appearance on Dancing with the Stars or So You Think You Can Dance?)

Coney Island Chris from Connecticut (shock/comedic performance)
Piers and Sharon buzzed. David buzzed at the end. Piers: Chris you committed the absolutely cardinal sin of anyone that does what you do. It wasn't entertaining. Sharon: Come on, you're a grownup, you can hear a pin drop in the room. I don't know how you got this far. David: I thought you were going to set yourself on fire. I was hoping you would. (It's a "clown" act of sorts. He was NOT funny tonight. Kinda a Pee Wee Herman voice... Just strange, far as I'm concerned.)

Break

Matt & Anthony from New York (one guy sings & plays guitar, and the other tap-dances)
Song: Freedom. Piers buzzed. Sharon: I think Anthony... You know what I think of your dancing. There's just something about this gelling that's missing. David: I think the combination works. It's a little rusty going up the stairs, but tight coming down. It was just a little off tonight. Piers: What the other two are struggling to say is you're a great dancer, and you're not that great of a singer. (They were both pretty good... Anthony WAS better. I don't know that he'd be that good without Matt, though. They DO play off each other.)

Break

The Lollipop Girls from California (dance with the art of tease)
Song: Big Spender. David: You were voted off, but you're the Lollipop Girls - You may take a licking but you keep on ticking. You were terrific. Las Vegas NEEDS an act like this. Piers: You want some oxygen David. Ladies, I could watch... I could watch that for a very long time. I wasn't sure about you before, but I'm certain, now. I like you. Sharon: It's so much fun what you do. It's so fun. It's great to see what you do. (Yeah, that was fun, and very Vegas. I don't know about making it through, though.)

Break

Drew Stevyns from Maryland (singer/guitar player)
Song: How to Save a Life(?) - Piers: How many jobs have you done outside of music. I don't think you're the best singer in the competition, at all. I think that was the best performance you've ever given. Sharon: Loved your song choice, it suited your voice. You actually surprised me, and I'm so glad we brought you back. David: I was in my dressing room during rehersal and I heard someone singing, and I asked "Who is that?" and it was you. Great emotional job. (Yep. I don't know that he's the best, but he's at least as good as the chicken farmer.)

Break

Recycled Percussion from New Hampshire (make music with almost anything)
Song: Ballroom Blitz. Standing Ovation from ALL the judges. Sharon: I tell you something guys. I applaud you. Just fantastic to watch. So much energy. I can't wait for you to come back so I can see what you bring us. David: I can't wait to go bang on things. You did what we told you to do, and you brought it. Piers: What can I say? We give lots of acts advice. Sometimes they take it, sometimes they ignore it. I could not believe what I was seeing tonight. 25 times better than the audition. Now we have to ask ourselves if a pile of trash can win America's Got Talent. I think they can. (THAT was COOL! THAT is a Vegas Act. They HAVE to make it through.)

Break

Eriam Sisters from Seattle (3 sisters - singers)
Song: Looking So Crazy in Love(?). David: You know this is becoming America's Got Kids. Your strong suit is your voices, not your dancing. If you come back, do more singing. Piers: I like the dancing. You have a cheeky way of dancing. You are the next Destiny's Child. Sharon: It's really hard to do what you did. But you did it. I just hope America brings you back. I want to see what you will bring us next.

That's it!

Wife: Barbara Padilla, Mia Boostrom, Lollipop Girls, Drew Stevyns, Recycled Percussion
Me: Barbara Padilla, Mia Boostrom, Lollipop Girls, Recycled Percussion, Eriam Sisters

Reba McIntyre will be here live tomorrow for the results show.

Here's the full-episode video: http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/video/episodes/?vid=1151014#vid=1151014

See you then. ;-)

No comments: