Tuesday, July 27, 2010

America's Got Talent (AGT) (2010) - July 27, 2010 (Live #3)

from Hollywood.

12 acts perform tonight. Four will move on - Three by America's Vote and from the 4th and 5th of America's vote, the fourth to move on will be chosen by the judges.

Segment #1

Tonight: Youngest is 10, and oldest is 74.
Remember, the judges, while important, don't really count tonight. America votes on who goes through (but the 4th & 5th)

Howie: Nervous energy is a fuel for a performer... Sometimes, though, nervous energy is... gas... That's not the type of energy you need.
Sharon: Unfortunately, being great is not enough for tonight. They have to take their own talent and put their own spin on it.
Piers: I've just seen the line-up for tonight, and I think I may have a busy evening. (buzzing)

The South Philly Vikings (dance group from Philly)
Costumed (full) dance group.
Piers buzzed
Piers: Buzzed because it was overgrown school-children in robot costumes. I just see a bunch of people who don't sing, can't dance well. I don't get it.
Sharon: I would like to apologize for my collegue. Anyway, you're blue-collar guys, none of you have professional training. I think it's really good entertainment.
Howie: I think I'm somewhere in between. Very entertaining, but I don't know if it's a dance group or entertainment group. I don't know where to categorize you. It's like an arts show on steroids.
(They're interesting, but I don't think they will beat others tonight.)

Segment #2

CJ Dippa (kid rapper)
(Got a phone call - but saw... Missed Sharon and Howie's remarks)
Piers: Time to get serious. On the negative side, I didn't understand a word you said. (Can't understand any rap song.) You've got stage presence. I can tell you think you are the best. Are you in it for the money, fame or women. (Neither... I mean, my dream... and all three!)
(from what I saw, not bad. Again, thought, I don't think he will beat others, tonight.)

Segment #3

Harmonica Pierre (obvious)
Owns more than 150 harmonicas.
Slow start (classical) then into "Hey Soul Sister".
Howie: My question is whether harmonica is big enough to win to the show. It reminded me of my doctor's office.
Piers: I loved the fact that you had a good go at something we haven't seen before. With the possible exception of Larry Adler, you are the best technical harmonica player I've ever seen.
Sharon: You say if you come back, you want to play the blues. I loved the way you mixed it up tonight.
(Slowed up in weird spots, but that was the arrangement. Nice harmica-playing. Howie may be right. We'll see.)

Segment #4

Polina Volchek (gymnast)
Piers buzzed
Piers: It was boring. I am disappointed, because I loved you in the previous two rounds with the hoops.
Sharon: I don't agree at all. I know what a dedicated artist you are. You're timing is impeccable. You are so dedicated. I applaud what you do. I loved your music. Your movements are so fluid.
Howie: I think he's totally wrong. I loved what you did with the hoops, the ropes, and everything.
(Nice. Fluid dance movements. Her making it will depend on the rest of the acts for tonight.)

Segment #5

The Strange Familiar (band - guy and girl have been together since 6th grade and are married.)
"Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper
Sharon: I'm not sure. I have to be brutally honest. I love your voice, I love the song and Cyndi Lauper. I think until you got the chorus it wasn't quite right, then it kicked in. I think there's some confusion in the band's direction (dress). Song choice is so important at this point. I don't think you did yourself justice.
Howie: You're looking at least at this point, the "Wow" factor. I wasn't WOW. And it's GOTTA at this point. This is not the end of the road if you don't make it back.
Piers: I thought 20 seconds was great, but the rest wasn't. Sharon's right about the confusion... There's you as the star, and the rest of the band as a bar band from ... I don't know ... San Antoinio. I think the time has come for you to make a decision, difficult because you're married to one of them, but I would dump the band.
(Great. They should go through.)

Segment #6

Haspop (Dancer/Gymnast/Mime)
Left France to pursue his dream.
Howie: That's what I'm talking about. That is wow. I don't know what it looks like on television, but I'm sitting right here, looking for wires. I absolutely loved it. That was phenomenal.
Piers: At this precise performance, I would go so far as to say, that was the performance of the night.
Sharon: It's like I said. You've got to bring your talent, but put your own twist on it. And as much as I hate to agree with Piers, that was the best performance of the night.
(Very good at what he does. We'll see.)

Luigi (singer)
"This Love has Taken a Toll"
Piers buzzed near end.
Piers: I think you're a good singer, and any normal season, you'd do well. As I watched you, there were a couple of times your voice wasn't quite there, and I think you know it.
Sharon: Anyone can win. However, you did start off a bit shaky. You started really soft and got better near the end. I think you have great potential.
Howie: It hink there were a couple of times when you were flat. And you were worried about your guitar-playing. If we can see that, it's not good. I hope that America remembers your prior performances, and puts you through, but tonight wasn't your best performance.
(He agreed, but I liked it.)

Segment #7

Chipps Cooney (comedian/magician)
"Went back to his roots - A Chip-n-Dale dancer. Took off clothes to undies and garters holding socks on. Girls rushed stage to tuck bucks, and he gave them change.
Piers buzzed.
All buzzed.
Sharon: Do you have a diaper on under your shorts. (Getting older, yeah.) Just checking.
Howie: Here's the thing. I have loved you from the beginning. I loved the sad-sack magician from the beginning. You should have stuck with that. Stay in that character. That's what people are responding to. (I ran out of illusions.) Then stick with that, and spend your time setting up an illusion that never happens. Stay in that character.
Piers: He did stick with the character - A complete imbecile. I woke up this morning wondering how you could make this act worse, and I decided it was if you took your clothes off, and you did. (He never got the joke.)
(I think he lost it tonight.)

Segment #8

Kaya and Sadie (belly-dancers)
Howie: You're going to Hollywood! I don't know. I just wathced. I wasn't judging. I was just watching. And I felt like ordering the Kabootie.
Piers: Can I just say having to watch these revolting naked performance of Chipps Cooney, you have brought back my faith.
Sharon: I thought it was fantastic... Very entertaining. Belly-dancing, people say "Is it enough?" There are a group of women out there who have shown it can be, and you can join them.
(I thought they did a great job... LOL)

Segment #9

Jeremy vanSchoonholden(?) (stunt bike rider)
Builds own props. (Tonight, doing stunts blindfolded)
(Got up to 10 feet high on rolling cage, and 6" paths, then three jumps at 10 feet high over girls, blindfolded)
Piers: you're dangerous, your talented, etc. It's not really my cup of tea, but you are slowly making it my cup of tea.
Sharon: Fantastic.
Howie: I agree with my cohorts... You ratchet it up every show. It's kinda hip and X-Gamish... And if you make it, it IS a show!
(He's VERY good at this. It would be nice if he made it.)

Segment #10

Debra Romer (singer)
Fleetwood Mac song "The Chain?" ("Thunder only happens when it's rainin'")
Piers gave a standing ovation.
Sharon: You should be very proud of yourself tonight. The confidence is there. You have a combination fo being vulnerable, sweet, etc.
Howie: Not only does the camera love you, but America loves you. You're getting better and better. It kind of makes me uneasy (the vulnerability), but it's what Piers responds to.
Piers: I have just watched a young woman who has come to that stage. You look like a star, you sang like a star, you are a star.
(It was a good performance. I hope she makes it through.)

Segment #11

Studio One Young Beast Society (Hip-Hop Dancers)
Howie: I gotta be honest with you. You brought it. It was wow. That was the best dance performance we've seen
Piers: I could not agree more. I think you are really on your game. I can see in your eyes how much you really want it. You just ended the show on a brilliant hight.
Sharon: We've seen very many dance groups. But few have come here and shown us their personalities. I congratulate you.
(Pretty good. Piers was right. The show has gotten better and better since Chipps.)

My picks: The Strange Familiar, Haspop, Debra Romer, Studio One Young Beast Society

Tomorrow night: The Jabberwockies and Mike Posner, and the results of tonight's voting.

America's Got Talent Live hosted by Jerry Springer will go cross country, lead by the winning act and some of America's favorites.

No comments: