Tuesday, August 14, 2012

America's Got Talent (AGT) 2012 - 08/14/2012 - YouTube Edition

From NBC:
All AGT Videos
Season 7 Episodes
Season 7 Highlights

AGT Continues following a two week hiatus while NBC showed the Olympics.

First act -

Clint Carvallo and his Extreme Parrots
Standing ovation including judges
Howie: I don't know if it plays as well on TV as well as live, but what would you do?
Sharon: I honestly thought you'd have another bird from behind another seat.
Howard: Impressive. I wonder what else you have, but this went perfectly. I enjoyed it very very much.
Clint: For me it was the second time I've ever seen it and I goose bumps every time I got to another place to do it. I make a living training abused birds for shows and appearances.
(Interesting. $1M talent? I don't know. We'll see how the rest of the night goes.)

Commercials
Segment #2

Reverse Order (Pop-Rock Band)
(Rocked up "I Kissed a Girl")
Howard: I think you guys suffer from not being together that long. I think you need a lot more time to develope. I think the vocals need some work.
Howie: I do agree with Howard. You have to go with your instinct. You're fine. But you looked like young guys acting like a rock band.
Sharon: You're great looking guys and look well together. You've got to have that glue that sticks you together, and I didn't see that, just yet.
RO: Thanks for all the advice. If America brings us back we're gonna bring even more.
(Song choice was interesting for a Rock band, which is what they want to be. Interesting, as they don't LOOK like a rock band. Everyone played well, but something wasn't there. Maybe the judges are right, here.)

Commercials
Segment #3

Rudy Colby (Illusionist/Magician)
Howard buzzed 1/2 say through
Sharon buzzed after him
Howard: Listen by the time you got to the end, it was interesting, but you had a long time to get set up. You can't waste that much time. You've got the chops. You lost us in the middle there.
Howie: I agree and disagree. We did in the middle. Nothing was happening. You came from YouTube. You've been away from magic for 15 years. I loved it. I think it could be better.
Sharon: You don't have a sense of timing. Cut to the chase. You need to edit it.
Rudy: I'm disappointed by Howard's reaction.
Howard: No, you misunderstood. You have talent. You just need to edit it down, like Sharon said.
(Bizarre. Interesting, but he did take too long. He could have done 3-4 shorter vignettes as others have. Or even two. Kinda depends on the other acts, tonight.)

Commercials
Segment #4

7 in Unison (Dance group)
Howie buzzed.
Howie: I think we're at a time in this competition where you have to WOW people. I just got bored.
Sharon: You're very good dancers, but what is there that makes you different from every other dance troup. I think the song choice was wrong. There's nothing that makes you stand out, but you're very good.
Howard: You have to kinda feel the audience. You're very compitent answers. It's 90 seconds and it felt like 90 minutes. I'm sorry.
(Judges said it. Nothing was unique, and they did some of what to me - not a dancer - seemed like pretty standard dancing. That's not to say they aren't GOOD, but either the song choice or choreography seemed off, to me.)

Commercials
Segment #5

Drew Erwin (Singer)
YouTube/Snapple Contest winner
Sharon: I have to say that the YouTube show is fantastic. You don't have the advantage the other performers have. Where have you performed before (my closet). You did extremely well. I hope the people at home loved you and vote you through.
Howie: It's really commendable. Tell me, were you affected by your nerves (yes). The thing is, you need time. I hope America gets involved. You did come off as somewhat green.
Howard: Let's call it the way it is. You're not ready for this competition, yet. Its not that you have a bad voice or (whatever), it just isn't your time.
(He sings better than many I've seen on this show. The song seemed a bit rushed - maybe to fit it into the 90 seconds. Not sure that guitar playing is his forte, though he learned watching others on YouTube while he had a broken hand and couldn't play football. I don't know. We'll see.)

Commercials
Segment #6

Melinda Hill (Comedian)
Howard: Strange night for me. I think you started out strong, your first two jokes were great, then you lost the audience.
Howie: I saw your YouTube video. If you haven't seen it, I urge you to. You're really funny. Tonight's material just wasn't right.
Sharon: I loved the start of your act... I'm not sure if it's your timing or material, but it's a shame... You're one of the good-looking comedians I've seen...
(She seemed flat. Part of it seemed to be timing, and part material.)

Eric Buss (Entertainer)
(Howard and Sharon both buzzed)
Howie: I didn't buzz you because I was waiting to see if there was and ending. I don't know if its a million dollar act as much as it's a million dollar birthday part.
Howard: The only thing you managed to do is mess up my stage. This is a very unusual act. You're boring. Your act is boring.
Sharon: Did you make those machines? (yes). That's very clever. So you're a carpenter as well.
(I've seen acts like this before. Reminded me a bit of Ernie Covacks - look it up kids. I think it was a little slow for most Americans, these days of quick edits, short video clips, etc. Kovaks made a mint doing this. Eric could to, if he could find the right niche. Given other choices of the night, he might make it. We'll see.)

Commercials
Segment #7

Romeo Dance Cheetah (Air Guitar/Dancer)
Howie and Howard buzzed
(Audience doesn't know whether to cheer or not)
Sharon laughing.
Sharon: I don't know where we begin. What is going on. What can one say... You're very good at mime.
Howard: No he's not. I'm one of those Americans who don't believe playing air guitar is a talent. The whole thing is nonsense.
Howie: Throughout the evening has said two acts that preceded you that you have to put the time into it. And you said in your package that you've been doing this for your whole life. I think you've put too much time into it.
(Weird. But not necessarily in a good way.)

Commercials
Segment #8

The Magic of Puck (Magician)
Howard: This act - I've seen this type of thing before, but you do it very well. The thing you have to be careful about is you have to bring us something bigger and better next time.
Howie: You've got talent. And you've got luck. The luck part is that for the most part, everyone else has been so disappointing...
Sharon: You're presentation is very professional. But it's a little too small.
(I've seen Copperfield and others do this before. Even so, the guy is good. Next time, it'd better be fantastic, or he won't make it past the other magicians.)

Commercials
Segment #9

Bria Kelly (16yo Singer)
Howard: You did a great job tonight. You're on a great night tonight. You want that audience to remember you. If you go on next week, you need to continue to pick great songs.
Sharon: You did wonderfully, but try not to shout so much - you lose the melody.
Howie: In my opinion, so far tonight, you young lady are the standout. I hope people vote.
(The girl can SING. She's cute. She's got star potential. She's IN for sure.)

Commercials
Segment #10

Cast in Bronze (Carillon player)
Sharon held up an "X" paddle (They're outside as the carillon is 4 tons.)
At the end, they're all holding up the "X" paddles.

Commercials (as they all come inside)
Segment #11

Comments on Cast in Bronze
Sharon: I can't decide if I was in a department store at Christmas, or I was watching Quasimodo...
Howie: I don't understand the whole ... How long have you been doing this? 21 Years.
Howard: If Hell had a musician, you would be it. This is AGT. Let's get a good costume going. Maybe with a rock band or something this would work, but you on your own... The costume doesn't get it... The instrument gave me a headache.)
(I thought it was neat, but the number of songs available to Carriloners seems limited. Then again, if he makes it, they could start writing songs for it again...)

Last act:
Academy of Villains (Dance group)
Standing ovation by everyone (judges, too)
Howard: Finally something to be proud about. Loved what you did. You kept us entertained... Bravo. I think you will be moving ahead.
Sharon: It was worth it to get you. Thank you very much for being here.
Howie: You know ... We saved the best for last. You are the best thing of tonight's show. I loved that in 90 seconds you shows us so much different stuff. You guys are wonderful. America, go to those phones and dial.
(VERY unique. I liked it. They're through.)

So, the acts tonight:
Clint Carvallo and his Extreme Parrots
Reverse Order (Rock Band)
Rudy Colby (Illusionist/Magician)
7 in Unison (Dance group)
Drew Erwin (Singer)
Melinda Hill (Comedian)
Eric Buss (Entertainer)
Romeo Dance Cheetah (Air Guitar/Dancer)
The Magic of Puck (Magician)
Bria Kelly (16yo Singer)
Cast in Bronze (Carillon player)
Academy of Villains (Dance group)

My choices: Clint Carvallo and his Extreme Parrots, Drew Erwin, Bria Kelly, Academy of Villains

Results are tomorrow.

Cya then.

No comments: