Tuesday, August 19, 2014

America's Got Talent (AGT) 2014 - Live Show @ RCMH - 08/19/2014

RCMH = Radio City Music Hall in New York City

This is the last quarter-final.

Remember - I try to quote and spell names correctly, but as fast as they move sometime and the new keyboard still giving my fingers fits, I paraphrase and do the best I can, sometimes.

Nick is introduced and he introduces the judges.

All Videos - http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/video
Full Episodes - http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/episodes

The 12 acts from which five will be chosen tonight:
Bad Boys of Ballet (Dance group)
One Voice Children's Choir (Choral group)
Jonah Smith (Singer)
Dom the Bom's Triple Threat (Card throwing)
Extreme (Dance group)
Emil and & Dariel (Cellists)
Nina Burri (Contortionist)
Quintavious Johnson (12yo Singer)
Mothmen Dance (aerial Dance group)
Smoothini (Magician)
Jonatan Riquelme (Rolla Bolla Aerial)
Kelli Glover (Singer)

**

Bad Boys of Ballet (Dance group)
Heidi and Mel B Standing O
Mel B - I love you guys. Your energy is through the roof.
Howie - This is the last live show before the finals. (Basically, he said they were "average".)
Heidi - I loved it to. I know the music inspired you.
Howard - Howie is right. In order to get America to vote for you, you have to do somewthing special. It was like an aerobic exercise.
(Not as wild as some of the other live show opening acts, but pretty good. I think, though, that unless the rest of the acts fall down, they won't make it through. We'll see.)

Commercials

One Voice Children's Choir (Choral group)
Audience Standing O
Howard - You know I'm a big fan and I went on my knees to Mel B. I am going to be honest, but I don't think you did enough. It will be up to America.
Howie - You made the song spectacular.
Heidi - You guys filled this room up. It was great.
Mel B - You stepped it up a notch. Like Heidi said you filled the room.
(100 kids singing "Let It Go". They did a great job, but I seriously doubt, as with the dance group above, that they did enough. I'm not sure what they could have done better, though. We'll see.)

Commercials

Jonah Smith (Singer)
Howard - Singers come and go in this competition. I usually don't remember what they did. With you I do.
Heidi - One thing to say to you, "I Want you to Stay With Me" (the song he sang). I loved it.
Mel B - I feel like you're feeling the pressure.
Howie - I think you are the third act of the night and by far I think you're the best so far.
(Howie is right, here. I thought he's done the best so far. Now all following acts have their chances in their own hands.)

Commercials

Dom the Bom's Triple Threat (Card throwing)
Heidi - This is encouraging really bad behavior. I'm just glad it was cards and not knives.
Mel B - I think there was a lot of pressure to get everything done. It was fun.
Howie - I loved it and they should vote for you.
Howard - I don't want to be the mean judge, but this is an act that has to be judged on its merit. But I think you had too much going on.
(Hmmm... In some respects it was good - any misses, he rethrew a card to hit the target, like I've seen acts do in Vegas. In other respects, it would be hard to see... He had a farmer's market set up and threw cards at veggies, fruit, and water bottles, then threw into the audience trying to get to the balcony, and his head was barely above the stuff in the carts. Just depends on the other acts. We have to see.)

Commercials

Extreme (Dance group)
Heidi - Loved it. Like you had firecrackers under your sneakers.
Mel B - The first time I didn't want it to stop. This time, there were moves I've seen before.
Howie - My focus was on this little girl in the front. Every time she was so high in the air.
Howard - The dance category is so difficult this year. When it comes to voting I don't think it will be memorable enough. This was a nice dance, but the choreography wasn't strong enough.
(I'm not that great at critiquing dance groups. There was a lot of energy... They did great... But it reminded me of a cheer leading troupe more than dancing, and as Howard said, wasn't that memorable. It will take a lot of votes to get them through tonight.)

Commercials

Emil and & Dariel (Cellists)
Howie - Wow! You're always surprising.
Howard - Out of all the acts tonight, I was excited to see you. If you go through, I'd love to see your grandpa perform with you.
Heidi - I was very surprised to hear this type of music from a cello.
Mel B - Boys, that was off the chain. You're exciting and passionate. I loved it.
(VERY COOL. I love the way these guys play. They should be through with no problem.)

Commercials

Nina Burri (Contortionist)
Howard - I'm inspired by someone at 30 years old going to China to learn contortion. This is a really motivational night tonight. You are beautiful.
Heidi - Honestly, I felt my hamstring pop watching you. Not sure if it's big enough.
Mel B - Everybody was saying "Why can't my wife do this?"
Howie - I was saying that. You are SO sexy. Can you teach my wife just two of those positions?
(She's VERY good looking. I'm sure Mel is correct. I am also not sure it's "big" enough for the type of stages she'd be on. As Heidi said, she usually sees contortionists around another act. We'll see.)

Commercials

Quintavious Johnson (12yo Singer)
Standing O by audience and judges
Heidi - Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow. Amazing amazing amazing. What can I say, power voice, powerful presence
Mel B - What just happened? You showed us your gift
Howie - At this moment, after hearing that, you have a lot of thinking to do. Know what you have to think about? What am I going to do with a million dollars?
Howard - Is it just me or am I the only one worried about puberty coming on? You woke this crowd up.
(That song is normally sung by women - from Dreamgirls. The kid hit it way out of the park. He should be through easily.)

Commercials

Mothmen Dance (aerial Dance group)
Howie and audience Standing O
Mel B - I am a big fan of yours. Tonight there was something missing.
Howie - If it was repetitive, I needed to see more. Innovation in dance is amazing.
Howard - If I was a professor in AGT University, my philosophy would be you have to be memorable. A+ at the university.
Heidi - I love what you do, but think you rely too much on the video in the background.
(Magical. A lot more aerial than prior. These guys are wonderful.)

Smoothini (Magician)
Heidi - I'm not sure if you can take it to the bank. I love you, but I'm not sure.
Mel B - I do think what you did tonight was great. I don't think it was big enough.
Howie - I think the audience will be the people at home., You saw it America. You have to vote.
Howard - This was just a mess. It was like we were in a bar and we were left out of things. You are better than that.
(He's closeup magic like others, but it didn't come through as well for some reason.)

Commercials

Jonatan Riquelme (Rolla Bolla Aerial)
Mel B - Emotional roller coaster. You don't understand how terrifying that is to actually watch. Well done brother,.
Heidi - Fabulous. I think you're great.
Howard - We've had Rolla Bolla acts before and they've fallen,. You kept us engaged.
Howie - Why would you put a mat down? At that height... You thrilled us. I hope enough people vote.
(if you look up Rolla Bolla and videos, you will see what he does. I understand how dangerous it is, but it takes a while to get set up. They've complained about that with others. Does the danger outweigh the time it takes? And then you go to "After a 90 second act, what more is there?" I mean, he pretty much does the same thing every time. Why aren't they complaining about it?)

Commercials

Kelli Glover (Singer)
Made it to judgement week in 2009 and was sent home.
Heidi - You were the last act of the night and I have to say unforgettable.
Mel B - You are truly amazing.
Howard - I think that you want it too much and you do tighten up. Relax.
Howie - You taught us all a lesson. Never give up. You sang beautifully, you are beautiful.
(She is great. I hope she makes it through, and even then, realizes, especially if she doesn't or doesn't go much further, that she can be like many of the others who don't make it on AGT, The Voice, American Idol, etc., and become a star with the help of the "auditions" for AGT. She's in my list of 5 tonight.)

**

My picks tonight:
Jonah Smith (Singer)
Emil and & Dariel (Cellists)
Quintavious Johnson (12yo Singer)
Mothmen Dance (aerial Dance group)
Kelli Glover (Singer)

Live results show tomorrow night. Cya then. ;-)

No comments: