Tuesday, August 27, 2013

America's Got Talent (AGT) 2013 - 08/27/2013 - RCMH, NY (Live Semi-Final Show #1)


NBC Highlights.

**

12 acts perform. Only six will survive. America votes on those six. This is for the top 12.

One of the acts that made it to the semi-finals had an injury - The Christoph Brothers. One fell on his head during practice. That fall means the guys cannot perform tonight. Hopefully they'll make it next week.

Judge's Wildcard Picks:
Howie: Red Panda - She was going to go on, but had a family emergency and couldn't perform. So tonight, America will get to see her.

The acts tonight:

Tone the Cheifrocka (rapper - one-hit-wonder "Booty")
Red Panda (Juggler - Howie's wildcard pick)
Angela Hoover (Impressionist/Comedian)
Duo Resonance (Strength acrobatics - Heidi's wildcard pick)
Collins Key (magician)
Innovative Force (Gymnasts)
Dave Fenley (singer)
Taylor Williamson (Comedian)
Jonathan Allen (operatic singer)
Catapult Entertainment (silhouette dancers)
Cami Bradley (singer)
Forte (operatic trio)

**

Tone the Cheifrocka (rapper - one-hit-wonder "Booty")
Howard buzzed.
Mel B: What a way to kick off the semi-finals. That was off the chain. I loved it! I didn't know whose Booty to look at - There was plenty to look at.
Howard: Sorry, but I was bored out of my skull. BOOTY is not a great song, and never was.
Howie: I think it is a hit - as good a Gangnam Style. And then you encircle us with all that booty. I agree with Howard you guys are stars.
Heidi: Welcome back. I do like the booty song, but this was not my favorite version.
[Wow. He's a personality, I'll give him that. BOOTY is not a terrible song, but not a great one, either. And he does the same thing over and over (different shows). Of course, attempting to have a one-hit wonder, that's what you would do. I don't think it's good enough to go on.]

Commercials - Segment #2

Red Panda (Juggler)
NOTES: Howie's Wildcard Pick. Replacement for Christoph Brothers, one of whom was injured in practice. Flew in this morning and is performing tonight.
She dropped one.
Howie: She had to be given the chance. Incredible amount of pressure. Now America can vote.
Howard: I want to thank Howie Mandel for bringing her back. Consider that what this woman does is difficult. She can't change it as a singer does.
Heidi: I like you, and know you can do it. I'll bet you've done this 5000 times
Mel B: I felt like I'd seen it before. Yes, there was a platform, but I felt like I'd seen it before.
[This is one of those "same thing over and over", and it's hard to change up. However, it's neat she can do it, and I doubt there's anyone else who could without months of practice. However, with the acts playing tonight, we'll have to see if it's good enough to go through.]

Commercials - Segment #3

Angela Hoover (Impressionist/Comedian)
Howard: Tonight was a night we said you had to step it up and get better and you did. The material - We're still getting chuckles and not big laughs, but...
Heidi: You really made me laugh today.
Mel B: I found the material funny. I was sitting here laughing.
Howie: I agree. You really stepped up your game. I don't think anyone I know is as good as you.
[Not bad. As one judge said, her impressions are more "spot on" than her jokes, but she was making us laugh tonight. We'll see.]

Commercials - Segment #4

Duo Resonance (Strength acrobatics - Heidi's wildcard pick)
Heidi: I am very happy to see you perform again tonight. You always bring a different element in your performace. I thought it was amazing, You always br4ing us something new.
Mel B: I like that you did something different. How do you bend your body in half.
Howie: Creative. Original. How do you come up with that? In the shower. I'm envisioning in the shower.
Howard: I love these guys. I think the box got in the way. I just think this was not a stronger routing than last week's.
[It seems a little "slower" than it should have been, but it was very elegant and pretty. We'll have to see.]

Commercials - Segment #5

Collins Key (magician)
Mel B: This is confusing. Half of me wants me to believe in magic right now. But the other half can't believe it.
Howie: I loved it. I think it's amazing. And I think our website AGT is lighting up right now with people who wanted dates.
Howard: I didn't love it at all. There's a lot of waiting around. I almost hit my "X".
Heidi: I think you are a very good performer. I've never seen the act before. That makes me want to see more.
[How did he do it? I can't figure out the logic. It went a little slow, but I think he performed well. It did seem like there should be more "action" involved, but... He may make it. It's better than somne of the others.]

Commercials - Segment #6

Innovative Force (Gymnasts)
Heidi and audience - Standing O
Howie: I think what you do is - Amazing moves. To me it's a little like a cheerleading competition. I think there's so much more to come. It did not blow me away.
Howard: First of all, what an inspiration you are. You just did an amazing thing. On TV I hope it comes across. You are throwing young people into the air and not hitting the floor.
Heidi: I loved it. I'm excited right now. I think this is the best act of the night so far. I loved it.
Mel B: I am a fan of you guys. Tonight, for me, I thought it was a little "messy". I think the timing was a little off.
[There was a lot of stuff going on. I'm not sure if the timing was off or if it was meant to be that way, but it seemed a little off to me, too. And it also seems like a cheerleading competition, though why they couldn't win with that is beyond me. It will take America voting them through.]

Commercials - Segment #7

Dave Fenley (singer)
Audience and Mel B - Standing O
Mel B: What a great song that is. (It was a Spice Girl's song.) That means you took it and made it your own. I would buy that song tomorrow.
Howard: I think the song was a train wreck. You've got to get off the Mel B kick. You're not a beat-boxer. This was not what you should have done in the semi-finals.
Heidi: What I like about your performance is you don't have the bells and whistles... It's just you and your voice.
Howie: I totally disagree with Howard, the best act of the night.
[I don't agree with the beat-boxing, but he did a good job with it, I thought. The song was repetitive... More than most. Even so, he sang and played it well. I think Howard is a jerk, at least on this one. Best act of the night? Maybe. We'll have to see.]

Commercials - Segment #8

Taylor Williamson (Comedian)
Judges and audience - Standing O
Heidi: You know what my favorite part is? It's when you start flirting with me. No, you did make me laugh today. I really like YOU.
Mel B: I think you're completely innappropriate and I loved it.
Howie: Brilliantly funny. The new best act of the night.
Howard: I gave you the standing O because you're doing the impossible - making America laugh.
[He was funny, but part of that funniness was him playing off Heidi and her playing off him. Still, his jokes were pretty good, and his delivery great.]

Commercials - Segment #9

Jonathan Allen (operatic singer)
Mel B: I think it's interesting you showed a different side of your voice. I don't know if it will register with America. Very brave choice, though.
Howie: I don't think it's your strong side. You were way out of your comfort zone. You saw the way the audience reacted when you were in your comfort zone...
Howard: I admire you tried to strip it down and just the piano. I don't think it worked.
Heidi: I think they're all wrong, and I'm the judge that's right.
[He "got loud" and that's when they're saying he was in his comfort zone and the audience reacted. I think Heidi is right, though. He did very well, and would HAVE to show this side of his voice at some point. If America doesn't vote him through now, they never would. Very good.]

Commercials - Segment #10

Catapult Entertainment (silhouette dancers)
Heidi: I like it. Every time you guys take us on a magical journey and I'm impressed.
Mel B: I liked it but didn't love it. The first half was confusing to me.
Howie: I don't disagree with Mel. I think I liked you better with clear concise stories.
Howard: When you guys come on I expect you to take it to the next level. But the story wasn't clear tonight.
[Great story, but it was a little muddled at first. I know they only have 90 seconds to show the story, but still... I hope they make it through. They're good enough.]

Cami Bradley (singer)
Mel B: I think you have an amazing voice. I found the whole thing a little boring, if I can say that. I would have gone with something a little more full on.
Heidi: I think it takes a lot of courage and vision - that was an Elvis song - It felt like a song I've never heard before. I loved that.
Howard: We can't help falling in love with you. You did a great job. Beautiful rendition.
Howie: I agree with Howard. I think America is in love with you. This is a semi-finals. I think you and Dave and Taylor have turned the night around.
[Relatively nice rendition. If we didn't know the song, there'd be no question. People have to be able to accept that songs they've heard for most their lives are changeable, and have to accept those changes. I think it was done well, and showed off her voice well.]

Commercials - Segment #11

Forte (operatic trio)
Standing Ovation by all
Heidi: Wow. Wow, Wow and Wow. All I have to say.
Mel B: I changed my mind. I really bloody liked you.
Howie: You solidified yourself a place in the quarterfinals. And I think you sent Jonathan Allen home.
Howard: From the opening notes, you had me. That's the sign of true professionals. I'm going to say the pressue of the semi-finals has gotten to everyone except you guys. You know how to perform. You know how to pick a song. Nice job.
[I don't think they sent Jonathan Allen home... YET. I think he has a place in the semi-finals. But he - and everyone else - is going to have to really pick up the pace to beat these guys. EXCELLENT!]

That's it. Results show tomrrow night.

Cya then. ;-)

-----

No comments: