Monday, July 02, 2012

America's Got Talent (AGT) 2012 - 07/02/2012 - First Live Show from NY

2-1/2 hour show tonight.

From NBC:
All Videos
Season 7 Episodes
Season 7 Highlights

NOTE: Any "quotes" by judges or acts are paraphrasing. I cannot catch all the words. Sorry... I'm not that fast of a typer! LOL

First 1/2 hour - About America's Got Talent, Season 7
Last 2 hours - First 12 of 48 Acts will perform live (Quarterfinal)

Montage - Highlights and Outtakes from the Auditions

Commercials
Segment #2

Nick is Backstage with the Judges
Talking about the theater and the people of NY
Never before seen footage:
   The judges talk about each other and Howard Stern joining them
   Nick doing odd things
   More of the judges
   Nice with some of the acts
   Sharon noticed a blackhead in Howie's ear. They (Sharon and Howard) do "surgery" on Howie to remove it.

Commercials
Segment #3

Nick is with the first 12 quarterfinalists and a montage of them all behind the scenes and on-stage, along with some who didn't make it.

And, as of tonight, America Votes.

Two more minutes, and the Live Show starts.
Commercials.

Segment #4

And the show begins following a montage of the acts, NY, the judges.
Going for $1,000,000 and a chance to headline a show in Las Vegas.
Judge intros.

Only four will make it through to the next round.
Three "X", the act is over, but America can still vote for them.

First Act
Distiguished Men of Brass
Howie: I think they did a really good job. The question is you have to take it beyond a marching show. I'm just being honest with you. I see potential.
Sharon: I'm judging you on what I saw tonight. You've got it going on. I love you.
Howard: This is about winning. For some reason on TV the big band sound gets muddled. Let a couple of guys do some solo work.
Feels great to be the first act on their new stage.
(They did a great job. But like Howard said, brass (marching bands) tend to sound muddled and you don't get the lows very easily. Maybe they need to mike the instruments.)

Commercials
Segment #5

Edon (14yo - Singer/KB player)
Sharon: Wow. Edon. What can I say. Amazing song choice. You hit every single note. You sang with great emotion. You were so good.
Howie: Did you get a standing ovation at your bar-mitzvah? You are terrific.
Howard: I heard you in rehersal. I criticised you earlier, I thought you were whiny. You hit every note. You're not a show-biz kid.
(Wow! The kid is GOOD!)

Commercials
Segment #6

Jarrett & Roja (Magicians)
Some boos, but
Howard: You heard the crowd. They turned on you. Bring the pizzazz you brought in Vegas.
Sharon: I thought it was Cheezy when you started singing.
Howie: I disagree with my fellow judges & the audience. I loved it. I thought it was good. I think there were some angles in the house where people saw how it was done. I don't think those at home did.
(It was ok. Seemed kinda typical.)

Commercials
Segment #7

Lil Starr (Dancer)
Tap Dancing tonight (to Party Rock remix)
Howie: You know something. You've gotta change your name - It's BIG Starr. I think you'll become the next Shirley Temple.
Howard: I have to be very very honest about this. Dance category this year is one of the toughest. Here's the problem. I don't think you're up to it. It's brilliant for a 6yo. You need a story - Cinderella or something like that.
Sharon: She doesn't need a story. With the personality... The way you shine. Your confidence... Do not listen to what Howard says.
(I thought she did an excellent job. Sharon is right.)

Commercials
Segment #8

Todd Oliver (Ventriliquist with live dogs)
Sharon: I've always loved Irving, and now we have Lucy. I love the idea of your act. The only weak point you have is maybe some of the material.
Howie: I agree. The act is great. I love that you stepped it up. I just wish that what you were saying, what they were saying, would make me laught.
Howard: What you need to do ... Maybe the dogs have to come out a little bit stronger. Who's the #1 enemy of dogs is Mitt Romney. Clearer on the ventriliquism and stronger on the material.
(I don't know... I thought the material was pretty good. The ventriliquism definitely is. I don't know what Howard, Sharon, and Howie were watching.)

Commercials
Segment #9

American BMX Stunt Team
Howard: First of all, I've loved you from the beginning. This is not necessarily my kind of act. You're still holding my attention and you're better than your main competitor.
Sharon: I know how dangerous this stage is. What you guys have done in this confined space... Well done.
Howie: The act seems to be stepped up BECAUSE we brought it inside. I hope America trusts in what we say. This is a good live show, and it deserves to go in.
(They ARE good. I think they need to have more colorful costumes, though.)

Nikki Jensen (singer)
Howie: I think you did wonderful. Critique you a little: You've gotta be a start. You have to be original. You've gotta grab them.
Howard: There's a front-runner in the singing category. Tonight I think you did a nice job. I don't think it's so memorable. I love your voice, but I didn't get the wow factor tonight.
Sharon: I think it was your performance. You were just standing. You are capable of giving us more. Work on your presentation.
(She did seem a little stiff. As one of the judges said, she's a little like Alanis Morriset. Song selection is key for her.)

Commercials
Segment #10

The Scott Brothers (sychronized dancing w/a bit of mime thrown in)
Sharon: That was very impressive. (Standing Ovation by audience). There are many people in this competition that are more athletic, quicker than you. But you are original.
Howie: Every move you do. It's not original. But the way you do it, it IS original. It's a great show.
Howard: You say they're not original but they're original. I say they're original and original. I told you earlier that I'm not a fan of dance. But tonight you hit it out of the park. When I see you, I know why I was tough on Lil Starr. Bravo.
(I thought they were REALLY good!)

Commercials
Segment #11

Micale Nejad (creates instruments from everyday items, and plays them)
Saxaphone out of a bat. Howard buzzed right away. Audience starts booing.
Violin out of a shovel. Howie buzzed when he played the vacuum cleaner sax.
Audience booes. Sharon buzzed at end.
Howard: Sometimes a baseball bat is a baseball bat. Sometimes a shovel is to dig your own grave, which I think you did tonight. If I was a priest, I would read you the last rites right now.
Sharon: Do you remember voting this gentleman through? (To Howard).
Howie: The reason we fought for you, because I think what you do is a real talent. But on the stage, it didn't work.
(The guy IS talented, making those instruments and playing them. But for a Vegas act? I don't know about that!)

Commercials
Segment #12

787 Crew (dancers)
Howie: You know I love your passion. The first two performances were better than this. The choregraphy was better. We saw spectacular moves.
Howard: I think you're in trouble tonight. Here's the problem. You do a lot of similar things each time I see you. We haven't seen a lot of different things.
Sharon: I don't think you're in trouble. Your look, your moves, are so different from any other group. I did agree with Howie that your last two acts were better. But you will make it through.
Howard: Constructive: Maybe one of you needs to come out front and solo a little bit.
(I've seen a lot of this type of dancing before. They're good, but... We'll have to see.)

Commercials
Segment #13

Shanice and Maurice Hayes (Father/Daughter singing duo)
Howie standing O with the audience. Sharon and Howard arguing.
Sharon: I've been a little worried about you guys, I love the fact that it's a father/daughter act and it's a little cheesy. I think that you nailed it big time tonight.
Howie: I was skeptical of you, sir. Tonight, no! You did not hold her back.
Howard: I was happy to see Howie was standing. Think a little more Sonny and Cher. You hold back a little, and let her shine.
(They were great tonight. I think Howard is right, though... If he lets her shine, instead of trying to be on an even keel with her, there may be no stopping them. He's good, too, but she's the superstar. Sonny needs to let Cher sing some solos.)

Commercials
Segment #14 (Hey... two-and-a-half hour show, though they did it more as a 1/2 hour and a 2-hour... remember? LOL)

Last Act
David Garibaldi and his CMYKs (Performer/Artist - They paint frenetically, but always end up with a great pic!)
Standing Ovation by audience and judges
Howard: Ok boys, if I were a woman I'd marry you. I love you.
Sharon: You are rock and roll. I love you.
Howie: Each and every time, you put a twist on it. I love it.

Howard listed the four he thinks will go through. I don't believe that's fair. He has a pretty strong influence in NY, and it's unfair to any act on the show if he says certain people are GOING to go through. The judges can judge, but they can't SAY someone will make it through. Part of the problem they had with Piers was that sometimes, he could/would suggest someone should NOT make it through, and they would, simply because of over-reaction to his negativity. Howard may be the opposite.

I have no power, though, and I don't have millions of readers, so I can put my four here! LOL
From:
Distinguished Men of Brass
Edon (14yo - Singer/KB player)
Jarrett & Roja (Magicians)
Lil Starr (Dancer)
Todd Oliver (Ventriliquist with live dogs)
American BMX Stunt Team
Nikki Jensen (singer)
The Scott Brothers (sychronized dancing w/a bit of mime thrown in)
Micale Nejad (creates instruments from everyday items, and plays them)
787 Crew (dancers)
Shanice and Maurice Hayes (Father/Daughter singing duo)
David Garibaldi and his CMYKs (Performer/Artist)

Edon
Todd Oliver
The Scott Brothers
David Garibaldi and his CMYKs

I wouldn't mind if Lil Starr, Distinguished Men of Brass or Shanice and Maurice Hayes made it, but I DO want to see mine list make it through, too!

Oh, well. Cya tomorrow (results show)

No comments: