Tuesday, July 17, 2012

America's Got Talent (AGTT) 2012 - 07/17/2012 - 3rd Live Quarterfinals from NY

From NBC:
All AGT Videos
Season 7 Episodes
Season 7 Highlights

12 acts, four spots - the first three by America, the last (#4 and #5) by the judges.

Montage of the acts from tongight. (Too fast to get all the names, now.)

Segment #1

Howard: It's hard to know. We're going to see thrills, chills and spills. I'm really psyched.
If an act gets three "X"s, the performance is over, but we can still vote on them.

The Untouchables (dance group - 8yo and up)
Howard: I think America just learned why the three judges put you through unanomously. The level that you're dancing at at this stage is remarkable.
Howie: Traditionally, when I see a group of young dancers, it looks like a recital. I have to say it didn't look like that. It's amazing.
Sharon: You know that I adore you because of your youth, your enthusiasm, is always superb. Your choreography is so good and professional.
(These kids are VERY good. It will kinda depend on the other acts tonight, and how they all do.)

Commercials
Segment #2

Mike Price (Rock Star Juggler)
Sharon: I don't really know what I thought about that. It didn't work for me. I wasn't convinced.
Howard: I love what you do. I don't know anyone who juggles any more. I love what you do, I love your expertise. I don't think America will vote you through. I applaud you for being here.
Howie: The pressure of a live show, you make it or break it. And tonight, you broke it.
(When the act was over, I'm not sure the audience knew whether to applaud or not. He's really good, but it's hard to get a lot of interesting things in in 90 seconds. It seemed "flat" tonight. It's too bad. Like I said, he's really good.)

Commercials
Segment #3

Inspire the Fire (singing/dancing group)
Howie: I wasn't inspired tonight. I don't like the cheesiness and corniness of the glee club, which you looked like, but you brought street cred, etc. Tonight you were cheesy.
Sharon: I have to agree with Howie. when we first saw you, you had a great sincerity. It was very, very cheesy.
Howard: It's tough to pile on, I had similar feelings. You inspire the fire many times, but tonight the fire was put out.
(They LOOKED like a glee club choir tonight... The costumes, the dance movements, etc. Firework by Katy Perry might not have been a BAD choice, but the arrangement certainly didn't work. Sorry guys.)

Commercials
Segment #4

Christin Sandu (balance act)
He fell. Pressure of the show.
Howard: I "X"ed him. I had to. You're gonna be a great doctor, I'm sure. You're athleticism is great. It didn't work out tonight, I'm sorry.
Sharon: I can only imagine what you're feeling, but don't get too down on yourself. You should be proud you've come this far.
Howie: There's nothing any of us can say. You showed up, you tried it, you deserve a big hand from everyone. (Sharon and Howie, standing O with the crowd applause).
(Too bad. You should check out the videos of what he does. It's pretty amazing, in my thought. He didn't get completely to the "danger" part (for him)... It appeared he was adding fire around the base, and something he would be standing on at the top of his pile of round pipes and boxes, but at least he can go home. Said he'd either finish the act and walk up to the judges, or leave in an ambulance. I, personally, am glad he got to see the judges, though he didn't complete the act.)

Commercials
Segment #5

Elusive (break dancer)
Howie: I have to say that you - usually I don't like to combine the story line, yet your hearing loss, and then I watch your strength and ability. I think your competition is going to be Turf. I hope America puts you through for the dance off.
Sharon: You are inspirational. However, the moves - I've seen them before. Is this worth a million dollars? I don't know.
Howard: Something went wrong tonight. You have been amazing in the past. You've gotta do more.
(It was a little slow. He needed more "flash" moves, IMHO. The "strutting" got boring fast. Too many do that one. He's gotta do what it SEEMS that only he can do.)

Commercial
Segment #6

Jake Wesley Rogers (singer)
Howard: I don't think you connected to that song. You seemed a little angry, there.
Howie: I think you're very talented, but I didn't like the song arrangement. I think that this year, a singer's not going to win. If people like you and are attached to your personality, they're going to have to vote.
Sharon: I have to agree with Howard and Howie - I don't like the song arrangement. Of all the acts I've seen tonight so far, I'd put my money on you.
(Song was Toxic by Brittany Spears. Howard said he didn't think even Brittany liked the song. The arrangement was weird. He's a very good singer, but at this stage, it's song choice, and I don't think that one was a good one. He MAY make it, but...)

All Wheel Sports (stunt group - skaters, skateboarders, BMXers)
Sharon: My goodness me. What can I say. We've had a lot of extreme sports acts before. But we've never had an act like this that combines it all with sexiness. You guys are the first group to combine it perfectly and bring it to us.
Howard: I think you did a great job. What helped you tonight was you were in a smaller theater, so we could follow it. I don't know whether people can follow the three-ring circus
Howie: I agree with everything Sharon and Howard said. Me sitting here, I just saw a headline act in Las Vegas. I have to tell the people at home - I don't think it's a television act. The spectical was all around us. I have to tell them to vote for you.
(There was a lot going on. And TV couldn't follow them well, but we could see stuff happening in the background. Dancers/Cheerleader tosses, Trampolinists, BMXers, Skaters... They are GOOD, and they did an excellent job. I hope they do go through.)

Commercials
Segment #7

Wordspit and the Illest (band)
(They're doing an original song tonight)
Howie: I have to say, I was so excited the first time I saw you. By far you were and are my favorite group. Right now I'm kinda angry. I think you made the most disasterous choice, doing an original song. What America votes - I hate to say it, it's a popularity contest - and you just cut your chances in half.
Sharon: Your energy is fantastic. You got the audience on their feet. At home, they can't feel the energy, the emotion. Much respect to you guys, but it was a very big risk.
Howard: I think I live on another planet from these guys. You can write. This is a very very accomplished band. I love that you did an original song.
Band: We didn't want to come out and give you someone else. We wanted to come out and give you US.
(It was hard to hear the lyrics. My wife said it just sounded like it was thrown together. I think it could have sounded more polished, but with the audience, it was hard to tell. It was the last that I finally heard it was "Lights Camera Action" that was being sung. I couldn't understand the rap at all. I don't think they translated to TV well. Sorry guys.)

Commercials
Segment #8

Tomorrow: Havana Brown will perform, and the winner of this year's Britain's Got Talent, Ashley and Fuzzy will be here.

Jacob Williams (comedian)
(At end of act - Audience standing O)
Sharon: You are a bigger than odd ball. I do like you. You're very awkward, but I do like you. I think your material was ok, not brilliant, but you made me laugh.
Howard: I can see you as a guy with a long career. I think it's great that we have two super-talented comedians in this contest. I love what you're doing.
Howie: I agree with that guy (from the audience). You are the best act of the night. You have great material, but you're also a character.
(I thought he was pretty good. "Best act of the night", well, I don't think so, but I think he'll make it.)

Commercials
Segment #8

All Beef Patty (drag queen singer)
Audience standing O
Howard: She's all beef. She's Patty. I just wonder if she can go beyond the caberet performer and go bigger. I think there might be a bit of a problem. It's gonna be tough.
Howie: I was kinda disappointed that you didn't move. You didn't use the stage. Tongiht, without moving, you were just a cabaret performer, not Las Vegas.
Sharon: I think you look like a chunky Cher. I agree with Howie that you should have used the stage. I do hope that you come back, because I think you've lifted the show tonight.
(Yep. If "she"d have moved around more, then she may have made it through. Right now, though, with a hand mike, she just stood there like she had a stand mike and COULDN'T move. S/He can sing quite well, but I'm not sure it was enough.)

Commercials
Segment #8

Spencer Horsman (escape artist/magician)
Sharon: Firstly I applaud you because you are so young, and there are not many people your age keeping this going on. I think at home this would appear boring.
Howard: You're so great. Tonight we couldn't see you. It failed.
Howie: It became a magic trick rather than an escape. I didn't get what was happening. it was confusing.
(He's a magician/escape artist, Howard. It was a little slow once he was hooked up, but 45 seconds to get bored with it, Sharon? GEEZE! Talk about ADHD. And he did it with 15 seconds left! Yes. We couldn't see him this time, just a "wiggly shadow behind a screen", but for a full act, what's he going to do? Escape, escape, escape? Even Houdini did magic!)

Commercials
Segment #9

Last act tonight
Lightwire Theater (performance with blacklight)
Standing O by audience
Howie: What a way to end the show. WOW. You're going to the finals. That was spectacular.
Sharon: That was spec-tacular, in every sense of the word. The new characters you brought to us.
Howard: Now we're talking. Now we're getting somewhere. No disappointments here. That's a big stage show. That's a million dollar act. Congratulations. You worked hard. You made it.
(I liked it. It may be how it comes across on TV... I can see where it may have been even greater, live, but not QUITE as powerful as the judges were saying it. ;-) )

The acts tonight:
The Untouchables (dance group - 8yo and up)
Mike Price (Rock Star Juggler)
Inspire the Fire (singing/dancing group)
Christin Sandu (balance act)
Elusive (break dancer)
Jake Wesley Rogers (singer)
All Wheel Sports (stunt group - skaters, skateboarders, BMXers)
Wordspit and the Illest (band)
Jacob Williams (comedian)
All Beef Patty (drag queen singer)
Spencer Horsman (escape artist/magician)
Lightwire Theater (performance with blacklight)

My four: Untouchables, All Wheel Sports, Jacob Williams, Lightwire Theater.

Howard: It was a strange night. We saw some incredible talent, we saw some nerves, that's for sure. So many nerves, some people stumbled. You guys should all be proud of yourselves. It's anybody's game.

So... See you for the results tomorrow. ;-)

No comments: