Tuesday, August 17, 2010

America's Got Talent (AGT) (2010) - August 17, 2010 - Special Wildcard Show

Live from Hollywood

Each judge picks four (4) of their favorite acts for a second chance.

Segment #1

Judges' Intro

Acts CAN be "X"ed. Three "X", performance is over, but America can vote them through.

Kruit Dance Acadamy (Pier's choice) Bollywood Dancers
Piers: I think my decision has been completely vindicated. As America has now seen, you have talent.
Sharon: As one half-wit, very exotic, very beautiful. As America is getting more used to Indians, you may have the Kruti Dance competing with Riverdance.
Howie: At this time in our competition, is what you do WOW. I don't know that America will see it that way. I don't know if you rise to this level.
(They have a great look, great choreography. I'm a bit like Howie, though... Headlining a show? We'll see.)

Segment #2

Rudi Macaggi (Sharon's choice) Balancing, tumbling, danger act
Blindfolded, does a backflip to catch his feet in a loop rope above his head.
As he did it, Piers buzzed him.
Sharon: Rudi. Obviously your technique is magnificent, and your timing to do that trick, but I think you took too long to do one trick. I think you should have done two tricks.
Howie: I think your last stunt was more spectacular, though I didn't see it.
Piers: The trouble is last time, you could potentially lose your head, and it would go rolling off the stage. And this time, you said you could break your neck.
They told him his last one was too scary, so this was more "slick", and he has missed it. Last time he missed, got eight stitches in his head.
(Rudi's good at what he does. He's a performer. The last trick WAS better, but this one just didn't seem quite as difficult. Again, we'll see.)

Segment #3

CJ Dippa (Howie's choice) 12yo Rapper, dancer, writes own raps
Piers buzzed just before he started dancing.
Howie: How do you think you did, CJ. (Thought he missed a couple of things.) I think you have an amazing future, and I think someone needs to take you, and mentor you.
Piers: I think it's very big of you to admit that. The fact you've dealt with that in such a mature way, I applaud you for that. I think it was a bit gimmicky. You were trying to be someone else. Be yourself.
Sharon: I think that Kissing Booth is the title of the song. I think it's really really catching. Rap is meant to be larger than life. I like the bike, I love the way you look. Keep at it.
Feel's like he needs to get his own light up on stage like he used to. (AGT may be pushing the dancing, etc.)
(The kid is 12 and writes his own raps. And he's good at that. I think AGT is interfering, though they will say that acts can choose to do their suggestions or not. The kid is 12. He may not KNOW what is best for him, yet. But he will.)

Segment #4

RNG (Sharon's choice) Young hip-hop dance group (5 girls)
Piers buzzed as song changed.
They added Howie's criticism from their last performance at the end, and one of the girls had "daggers in her eyes" looking at Howie.
Sharon: I'm happy I brought them back. I thought the performance was really really strong. I loved the choregraphy. You had great attitude.
Howie: My job here is to be incredibly honest. You are phenominal. You have a perspective here in this competition. You said no tricks, no stunts, pure dance. You've gotta ramp up. I'm not gonna choose tonight. America is.
Piers: I don't start with saying your phenominal, because I don't think you were. I thought it was a bit disorganized. I don't agree with Sharon about the choreography. Sharon: You've buzzed everybody else's acts but yours, tonight. Piers: That's because only mine have come through. The only thing is I thought was the attitude reminded me of Sharon.
(They're good. They do have attitude. But it appeared to me to be waving their arms around and stomping around in unison. I really doubt they'll make it through.)

Segment #5

Harmonica Pierre (Piers' pick) Harmonica player
(Piers said he was the best harmonica technician he'd ever seen)
Alehandro by Lady Gaga (Howie buzzed before he even started - didn't count)
Howie: I didn't buzz you. I was just trying to... I'll tell you why I'm angry. Piers has buzzed every act that's not his own. I said to Sharon, let's buzz him before he even starts, so as not to throw you off. And you said Ok, then you (Sharon) dissed me! (Asked piers what he thought, and Piers had glowing reports.) (back to Howie's judging) It's consistent. I don't know that America will choose you. It's not my choice. You're a wonderful man, and fantastic at what you do.
Sharon: I loved it, however, are you a finalist in this contest. Are you an act that will fill arenas? I don't know. (Piers: That's not the criteria.) Sharon: You've had your time. LADILALLALALALAAALLAL (over Piers' protests about criteria)
(Funny Piers can use that criteria - well, he did last year... hasn't said it that way this year that I recall - and no one else can. He's an excellent Harmonica player. I think Howie's looking at it correctly.)

Segment #6

Michael Grasso (Sharon's pick) Magician
Audience liked (Standing Ovation)
Sharon: Thank you for not disappointing me. Your timing was perfect.
Howie: That performance tonight is the first that was worthy of this level.
Piers: You haven't just performed a brilliant magic trick, but you've performed a miracle... You've proven that Sharon does know something about talent. There are some great magicians in the show, and I think you've just thrown it wide open.
(Nice. He may just make it through.)

Hot Shot Tap Dancers (Howie's pick) Stompers/Tappers
Piers buzzed in the middle. (They do seem to be off the music a bit.)
Howie: I wanted you... I brought you back. You kinda listened to me, and stayed off the story, but it was just tapping. You started off spectacular, then I got a little bored.
Piers: I agree with Howie. It was boring. Look, I like you as individuals. You've got great chemistry and that carries over. But you did get out of step at times. You need to think about the choreography.
Sharon: I love you all, but there's something missing, and tonight, I think I saw it. You dance as a team. One of you has to come forward and do something different than the others. I think that's what's failing.
(I'm glad that Howie and Piers noted the timing problem. They usually gloss over stuff like that (well, Piers doens't, but...) Last time they spent too much time with the story. They DID start off great, but then it was four people tap-dancing, and not very much in unison.)

Segment #7

Doogie Horner (Piers' choice) Comedian
(Piers' least and most favorite)
Piers: We've been on a bit of a journey with you. We enjoyed the humor, we enjoyed the comedy. That's why I was surprised Howie didn't bring you back. (Howie: That's a lie... I said lets bring Doogie back, and you said you can't, I already have.)
Sharon: That's a true story he just told. Yes, you are a very weird little man, but you're funny.
Howie: You applied the number one rule of comedy. You are in the moment. Welcome back Doogie.
(He was great, I thought, when he was talking about the other acts. Then he brought his "fans" from New York, and they were booing him ("Doogie Sucks" T-shirts). My wife didn't think he was funny at all. So... We're split on him. I don't know about him making it through, though.)

Segment #8

Conner Doran (Howie's choice) Kite dancer (Epileptic, keeps being told he can't do things.)
Standing O from audience and Howie
Howie: Says nothing. Gestures at the standing o. Need I say more.
Piers: How does it feel after dooing that? (Amazing) I watched the interview before you performed, and you said it brings out the normal kid in you. Truth is you bring out the normal kid in all of is. Good job, Howie. And welcome back, Conner.
Sharon: Always amazes me the way you interpret the music. It was beautifully executed, Conner.
(The kid is EXCELLENT at what he does. He does get the audience into it. The music is always inspirational. At this point, he's got my vote.)

Segment #9

Anna and Patryk (Pier's pick) 12yo Ballroom Dancers
Standing O from Audience
Piers: For me, that was your best performance tonight. Patryk, I thought you were the boss tonight... A little mini-John Travolta. I don't know why you didn't get through before.
Sharon: Your coordination, your timing, it was really right tonight. I feel like I'm watching a couple of 25yos, not 12yos.
Howie: I agree with everything my partners are saying. And the art of ballroom dancing is about being seductive. And seeing 12yos dancing is a bit creepy. (Piers protested... Howie said "The perfect party at Pier's house are 12yos dancing to harmonica music.)
(I don't know that BR Dancing is supposed to be "seductive", but "graceful", and these two are.)

Segment #10

Michael Lipari and Ashleigh Dejon (Sharon's choice) Aerialists
Tonight - Full release and catch
Well, there was, what appeared to be a drop, and everyone thought it was bad, but they came back out of it.
Sharon: Michael, Ashleight, you tricked me. How seductive was that. Very sexy, very clever. I thought it was edgy.
Howie: You got our blood flowing. It was WOW. It's amazing, and I don't know what your relationship is, but she's very clingy.
Piers: I'm very glad you're not dead. I argued with Sharon about bringing you back, we already have a lot of magic acts, but that was brillient.
(They are "pretty". And it was something that made everyone think she had fallen (all the judges were definitely worried), then they "rose again" and all was well. I think no one noticed the heartbeat music playing, and that no stage people were rushing to the stage, which is why they were "frozen. I think they'll make it through.)

Segment #11

Last Act
Swing Shift Sideshow (Howie's choice) Traditional Sideshow Act
Piers buzzed, Sharon buzzed
Howie: This is what's going on inside my head. You either hated it or loved it. I loved it. It was interesting seeing you again.
Piers: Howie thinks that two 12yos ballroom dancing is creepy, then he brings back you three. And I know you'll take that as a compliment. To me, it is utterly revolting. It is revolting.
Sharon: I appreciate it as an art form, like the old Victorian sideshows, but it's not my thing. I've never seen a woman swallow a sword before, it's always been men, so... I appreciate it as an art form.

My choices: Kruit Dance Acadamy, Michael Grasso, Anna and Patryk, and Michael Lipari and Ashleigh Dejon.

Results show, tomorrow: LeAnn Rhymes and Criss Angel
Semi-Finals show next week
Live national tour: Starting in October, 25 cities, hosted by Jerry Springer, which is what everyone is vying for.

Cya tomorrow.

No comments: