Tuesday, August 31, 2010

America's Got Talent (AGT) (2010) - August 31, 2010 - Second Semi-Final Show

12 acts. Five (5) will go through.

Live from Hollywood.

Three "X"s and it's game over, though America could still vote them through.

Segment #1

Alice Tan Ridley (Singer)
"I Have Nothing If I Don't Have You"
Piers: It's a bit different from the subway, isn't it. It's very very big year for the singers. It is impossible to know who America will pick. But you were sensational.
Sharon: It's been so long since I've heard that song sung that way. Sensational performance. You look fabulous.
Howie: This contest is about America's feelings. And look at here... You got everyone on their feet.
(Great. I really hope she makes it through.)

Segment #2

HasPop (Dancer)
Piers buzzed just before the end.
Sharon: I really respect the way you tried to come back with a much more sophisticated performance with the film, but somehow it didn't work for me. I appreciate you took a risk.
Howie: I think it's amazing. There's a lot of dancers on this show. The ability to add story, mime and video... You did wow me. She's right. If they love you , you gota vote.
Piers: I like you and the body pop. I wanna see you dance. Not some strange guy behind you trying to hit you. It's all a bit over my head.
(He has an outside chance, if America sees it the same as Howie. The guy is good at what he does. It's strange. I don't know.)

Segment #3

Maestro Alexander Bui (Pianist)
The only instrumentalist left in the competition.
Howie buzzed!
Howie: Here's what I ... At this point in the competition... Your talent is undeniable... I hear Flight of the Bumblebee and Boogie, I don't think it reaches the level...
Piers: You are a cultural ignoramus, Howie. In terms of raising the bar above what we normally see, you've transcended it.
Sharon: The most difficult piece to play, and you played it magnificently. It was exciting, and you know I haven't been excited by you in the past.
Howie: It just wasn't as exciting as what we're going to see (BOO! - Audience) Oh, boo to you!
(That had to be extremely difficult to do. Bumble Boogie, I guess is the name of the piece. The kid is EXCELLENT at it. We'll see.)

Segment #4

Micheal Lipari and Ashleigh Dijon (Aeralists)
Last time we shocked the judges. This time we want to touch their hearts.
Standing Ovation by audience.
Piers: How do you guys think that went. (I feel good about it.) There were no big tricks. I was thinking all the time that you needed it to keep it from being a traditional aerial act, by the end I loved it.
Sharon: I thought the set was beautiful. The music... You two...
Howie: There was for me, despite no stunts, the danger. Because I've seen these aerial acts, and they have a lot of safety harnesses, and SHE picked YOU up, and ... you could have died. You wowed me. I'm a cultural ignroamous, but I loved it.
(Very nice. Judeges (AND America) DO have to remember that each time they see them, they will be seeing a PART of the show. This showed that they could be dramatic, instead of just stunt performers. They are fantastic.)

Segment #5

Michael Grasso (Magician)
Three kidney transplants. Mother - lasted 8 years, sister, and aunt - the one he has now - donated.
Sharon: I honestly don't know what to say. That was absolutely sensational.
Howie: I am such a fan of magic, and I am such a fan of this show... I don't know how it played on TV, but live it was fantastic.
Piers: You're an interesting one. You started out, and thought you'd blown it. Then you came back in the wildcard show, and wowed us. Then tonight... Slowly and surely you've grown ... before our eyes.
(It seemed relatively standard, but how he switched for the girl, I have no clue. It was all right in front of us (well, the live audience. For us, they cut away for a second to the cage "popping". I like magic, too, and this guy has a style... We'll have to see.)

Segment #6

Debra Romer (Singer)
Innocent and vulnerable, but sexy. Look like/sang like a star - you are a star. Ran away from home/
"To Make You Feel My Love"(?)
Howie: You're a lovely young lady. It was nice. It was really nice. And I don't know if it will go.
Piers: I kinda know where Howie's coming from. Did that performance knock me out like Michael Grasso did, or Ashleigh.
Sharon: It's a beautiful song, lyrically. But to show off your vocal range, and all, it's pretty level.
(She's cute as hell, and we know she can sing. She's getting over her shyness on stage. Question is was she strong enoug, and will America remember how far she's come?)

Studio One Young Beast Society (Dance group)
The last dance group in the competition.
Standing Ovation by audience.
Piers: That is what entertaining is about. How good does that feel? That is what you guys get when you put the hours in. You guys, I've watched you from the start. Better, faster, sexy.
Sharon: Every time I see you guys, there's a great urgency with your dance, and I love that. I love that you're mixing your dance with gymnastics.
Howie: You guys are phenomenal. It's electric. If I have one negative, it's your name... Studio One Young Beast Society... It's not catchy. I think it should be Studio Two Young Beast Society.
(At this level, they ARE good, but will America vote a dance group through? We'll see.)

Segment #7

Jeremy van Schoonhoven (Extreme balancing bike-rider)
fell twice, but made the major trick, injured.
Sharon: Are you crazy? Does your mother know that you do this? The first accident that you had, what happened. (cut head, stitches in elbow, hip's really bad - using his bike to keep him up). You deserve every vote. I'm asking America to vote for Jeremy.
Howie: Sharon sounds like she's doing a telethon for Jeremy. Here's this poor kid, just out of the hosptial, and can't even afford a seat for his bike...
Piers: It takes a certain kind of nutcase to jump off that on a bike. I wouldn't do it with my feet, let alone on a bike. There's something about you.
(The guy was injured. Those two falls in the show were because it wasn't straight, and he couldn't hold the handlbars tight enough. He did the trick he got injured (and nearly killed, as one of the judges said) successfully - Dropping from 20 feet up to small landing areas, then back to stage. Is it enough? We'll see.)

Segment #8

Nathanial Kenyon (Singer)
"Can't Keep My Eyes Off Of You"
Piers buzzed.
Howie: The audience likes you. You have the package to be a popstar. The women love you. It's not as exciting as some of the others. You're not there yet... You're getting nervous.... America will decide.
Piers: America loves you... However, tonight has been an incredible night, and thinking do you deserve to move on, and I didn't think so... Too many missed notes.
Sharon: Luckily for you, he doesn't have to decide. America has to decide. You've come a long way. I think the young girls are going to love you.
(This is the guy with the "Rob Thomas" voice. He's been stronger, or it may have been the song choice. I didn't really hear as many missed notes with him as with others, but Piers did. If the girls vote him through, then he'll make it. Otherwise...)

Segment #9

Murray (Magician)
Made a locomotive disappear.
Piers: I was a little bit bored by the chat tonight. A little stilted. I'm going to be very honest. On performances tonight, the other guy did better.
Sharon: I think you're both equally as good. I pay a fortune to go see David Copperfield. And I've not seen anything like that, before.
Howie: I kinda of agree with Piers, it's the presentation. And... what that sound... It's the train leaving the building. (Laughs all round.)
(There was a pause between the covering of the train, and when he pulled the curtain. He filled it with his story, but you KNOW that's when the train was moved. Copperfield did pretty much the same thing 20 years ago with a jet liner. It's all misdirection, and with that big of an item, it's presentation, getting people prepared to be amazed. I don't think he did it, tonight. He's damn good, but like Piers said... The other guy was better.)

Segment #10

Jackie Evancho (11yo Opera Singer)
(She's been on the news and entertainment shows - She has a CD out, but no record deal.)
Standing Ovation by everyone.
Sharon: I know you must realize how blessed you are to be born with this amazing gift. I hope you realize that your life will never be the same again. You're voice will take you all over the world.
Howie: It is real. And you are like an angel from another planet. I've never witnessed something like this or heard something like this.
Piers: Jackie, this is why we do these shows. Tonight we have four or five acts I'm sure can be stars, but we have in you... a superstar.
Standing O by everyone again, as we go to commercial.
(The kid is already a bona-fide star. She doesn't really NEED to win, and America may see that. That may go against her for this competition.

Segment #11

Fighting Gravity (Amazing blacklight "dance" group)
They quit school to do this.
Standing Ovation by all, again.
Howie: What a night. You are one of my favorite acts, if not my favorite act. Nobody could follow Jackie but you guys.
Piers: You came within about one foot of me buzzing you, when you shot that ball at my head. Howie put your up to that, didn't he? I think Howie said it all. it's always original. The American public has got to vote for an act like you.
Sharon: Your act is so cool. It's for all age groups. You guys are winners. You really are.
(These guys were my favorites from the beginning. I hope they do make it through.)

My choices: Alice Tan Ridley, Michael Lipari and Ashleigh Dijon, Michael Grasso, Jackie Evancho, Fighting Gravity

This is one of the best years ever for this show. However, that means that a lot of good acts have been and will dropped.

I've said it a LOT of times since I started doing this. I am SURE that many of these acts will get to go on and be stars in Vegas or elsewhere, like the group that DIDN'T win from last year but headline a Vegas show... Like many others. They've had their chance at this show, and gotten exposure, now. This show helped, Even Debra, from tonight, said she's seldom played anything but restaurants and coffee houses, but now she's being asked to do concerts. Keep that up, you promoters, and other acts who need someone to open the show for you. These people are GOOD, as are many who haven't made it through. Look back through the list of those who didn't make it. Look back through the years of AGT that I've been doing this, and see those who didn't make it through. There's a LOT of talent out there gone to waste if you were NOT paying attention!

Tomorrow night: Cast of Les Rez and Jason Derulo and the results.
Cya then ;-)

No comments: