Tuesday, August 03, 2010

America's Got Talent (AGT) (2010) - August 03, 2010 (Live #4)

Live from Hollywood.

The final 12 acts from Vegas perform tonight. Four will move on - Three by America's Vote and from the 4th and 5th of America's vote, the fourth to move on will be chosen by the judges.

Segment #1

Da Maniacs (Dance group)
A bunch of heavy guys. Started in Half-time shows.
Tonight - Tribute to two era's of music.
Nothing like seeing 12 "belushis" doing Soul Man as a Blues Brothers
To "Can't Touch This" my MC Hammer. (Piers buzzed when the song started.)
Piers: I do like you. You are very entertaining in a strange manner. There's a reason dancers are not your size. There's a TV show for you guys, it's called "The Biggest Loser".
Sharon: We are not true professional dancers is the way we all know. But you bring comedy and dance, and are entertaining. You make me smile.
Howie: But to stand out in this competition, you have to be very good or very bad. I think you're in the middle, somewhere. I don't think you can win.
Group spokesperson: "We are very humbled to be here. ... There's room for everybody, if you just open your minds."
(I thought they did a good job. But they're first out. We'll see.)

Segment #2

Nu Covenant (Four church gospel singers)
"To Late to Apologize"
Piers buzed. Sharon buzzed.
(Harmonies don't seem quite there.)
Sharon: You look incredible, you move well together, but the haromies weren't there tonight. Just wasn't happening vocally for me.
Howie: I know this is live tv... The weight of that we could see. Sometimes nerve can do that to you. I think that this was not your moment.
Piers: I think what we've discovered is that pop songs are not your thing. I think gospel is it for you - It's what you're comfortable with. I hope that America will feel sorry for you like I do, and give you a chance.)
(I wrote the "harmonies" thing before Sharon said a thing. Judges were saying they were "flat". I don't think so, but the harmonies were NOT "on". I think they're out.)

Segment #3

Anna and Patryk (Kid Ballroom Dancers)
Been dancing together for four years.
Howie: Way to bring it. There's no way to deny it. You two are amazing technicians at what you do. If this were a dance show, you two would win it. But it's not. America's got to decide.
Piers: I do know world-class talent when I see it. And I could see you in Vegas tomorrow. 12yo. The choreography, the chemistry. People can see you enjoy working together.
Sharon: We've seen you do the cha-cha, the tango, and now the jive. You could do unbelievable business in Vegas. (Howie: Who do you agree with, me or Piers.) Piers.
(Those kids are DAMN good - I think better than any of the Dancing with the Stars duos. And, since they've shown us three different styles, and done GREAT at all of them, I think they COULD play Vegas - Sorry Howie.)

Segment #4

Lindsey Stirling (Hip-Hop Violinist - Plays and Dances)
Mormon. Wants to show that you don't have to compromize your values, but still can have fun.
Piers buzzed.
Piers: I love you and your look, the choreography was great. To do what you do you have to be a world-class violinist. There were times it sounds good, and times it sounds like a bunch a rats being strangled.
Sharon: You're here because you're unique, and we loved you in the auditions. I think the problem is with you, you need to be in a group. You need a singer, dancers, etc.
Howie: You have to realize that to get to this point, you're already a winner. I hate I've got to say this, but Piers was right. There were notes missing, when you were being thrown around, right? (Yeah, but I gave it my all.)
(Very interesting. I could see her doing this in Vegas, but I think Sharon's right. She needs a bit more. She's good, but something's missing. She's NOT a soloist.)

Segment #5

Doogie Horner (Stand-up Comedy)
Sharon: You know that you did make Mr Piers Morgan laugh. You made me laugh. it was very silly, but I liked it.
Howie: I say it all the time. This is the hardest contest for comedians. I think it was great. It really was.
Piers: This is a very uncomfortable moment for me. I was determined tonight to find you as funny as a smack in the chops. There's something about your delivery, and it finally got to me. I have to say this: Doogie... You're funny!
(Doogie has a t-shirt on: Pier's Morgan Fan Club, under his dress shirt).
(He didn't berate the audience. He said he wasn't going to compromise his jokes by using cheap tricks to get people excited, and the first thing that happened was indoor fireworks, applause sign, etc. (Ironic comedy.) I don't know if he could do a full Vegas show, but it was pretty good tonight, if you were WATCHING. Listening, and it seemed a bit flat. We'll see.)

Segment #6

Rudi Macaggi (3rd generation circus act)
(One of the most dangerous acts we've had on this show.)
Balances over a running circular saw head-down on two stacks of blocks. Then he yells, tosses the blocks and lands on his hands, face 2-3 inches from the blade.
Howie: I was looking the other way. You said if you're faint of heart and sensitive, and I am. But I was looking at their faces, and you're still alive.
Piers: Rudi - I've never seen anything like that in my life. That was the most extraordinary dangerous exciting things I've ever seen on this show.
Sharon: It was like watching a horror movie. You bring danger. True circus people are a dying breed. I just loved it.
(Reminds me of some of the old circus acts we used to see on TV with added danger. He's Vegas, that's for sure.)

Taylor Mathews (singer)
"I'm Not Moving"(?) ("The Man that Can't Be Moved"(?))
Standing Ovation from Audience
Piers: Tell me how you think you did. (From the sound of it, It hink I did pretty good.) I think there were moments in that song - not perfect - when I saw a real potential pop-star.
Sharon: I can't wait to see you again, to see how far you've come along. it was a bit shaky at times. But I loved it.
Howie: I think this particular performance was your rockiest, but America loves you. I will bet you'll be back.
(Nice song. There were a few spots, but that's typical of even major acts when they perform live. I think he did a great job.)

Segment #7

Mary Ellen (strange singer - Yodelled first audition)
Went over on audition and next time. Told that 90 seconds and they'll pull the plug.
Piers buzzed.
(One of those so bad she's good - Nick pulled the plug)
Howie: You're truly a trend-setter (has a wig like her's on). I love you. You're really unique.
Sharon: You don't seem happy tonight. (I have a virus.) I could tell there was something not right. (Howie: You could tell there's something not right? I couldn't tell.)
Piers: Looking at Howie, the only reason you're here is because of Howie. Maybe you could do us all a favor, and sneeze all over him.
(Oh, Gawd! I hope she doesn't make it over some of the others. She reminds me of Mrs. Miller in the 60s/70s. Look HER up! LOL)

Segment #8

ArcAttack (Electric performers)
(Plays music with lightning from Tesla Coils and chain-mail suits)
"Iron Man"
They had to build a stage outside, just so they can perform, it's so dangerous.
Will come inside and see what the judges think after the break.

Segment #9

Howie: You know what? I don't think TV does you justice. People don't realize that the notes are coming out of the electricity.
Piers: I must say that being outside watching you perform, it's one of the most exciting things I've seen. Very Vegas.
The spark works like a speaker.
Sharon: The audience was very into it, so were were. I MUST say though, that next time you do Iron Man, I know a singer...
(VERY Vegas!)

Prince Poppycock (Costumed and made up singer - operatic)
Not very self-confident - works in a metal shop - until he puts on the Poppycock makeup.
Piers: I think you're becoming my guilty pleasure. I like the real you, and I like Poppycock. I'll tell you one thing... You can sing, you have great stage presence...
Sharon: Every time I see you, you get more and more theatrical. It's great to see an opera singer that's not fat and stuffy. I hope you come back. Because if you don't I don't know what I will do.
Howie: The whole look is fabulous. It's Liza Manelli and a clown. The question is will middle-America go for this.
(Poppycock is very flamboyant, but the guy can flat-out SING! I think he'll get through. Seemed strange to start with, but now we've heard a bit of the story... I like him.)

Segment #10

Murray (magician)
Family is a railroad family. He's the first person in the family to break away from that and do tricks.
Glass box. Girl inside. Piers' sport-coat. Cover. Can see all around, above and below curtain. He pulls the curtain, and there's a tiger. The girl is behind Howie, and scares him to death! LOL
Howie: That is Vegas.
Sharon: Every time I see you you take it up a notch.
Piers: Thank you. I saw the tiger with no jacket, and I thought I lost the jacket. The kind of magician we're looking for is one that gets bigger and bigger, and at this stage, they have to wow us, and THAT is what I'm talking about.
(Nice. One trick tonight, but it was a good one!)

Segment #11

Striker's All-Stars (Dancers - Hip-hop/Stepping/Acrobatic)
Howie: You are incredibly talented, but we are in the last round. Last time you were more acrobatic. You stepped it down.
Piers: You are a good dance group. I've counted 7 or 8 that should go through, but there will only be four.
Sharon: It's so unfortunate that you are on tonight with everyone that's gone before. But you did your best, but with tigers and (Howie: Mary Ellen)...
(They did a good job, but like Howie noted, the group from last week stepped it up... They moved very well, but I didn't see the WOW.)

My votes: Anna and Patryk, Prince Poppycock, Taylor Mathews, ArcAttack (and I hate that only four can go through - secondary: Rudi and Murray)

Result show tomorrow.
Taio Cruz and Bret Michaels tomorrow night.

All AGT Videos -
Full Episodes (Season 5)
Season Five highlights

No comments: