Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Anerica's Got Talent (AGT) (2010) - August 24, 2010 - First Semi-Final Show

12 acts. Five (5) will go through.
They weren't mentioned slow enough for me to enter them, so, as they happen...

Live from Hollywood.

Three "X"s and it's game over.

Sharon: Most crucial thing... Acts have to really focus on what they're doing and on being a star. If they don't show us, how will we know.

Segment #1

Anny and Patryk - 12yo Ballroom Dancers
To Lady Gaga - Paparazi
Standing Ovation from crowd
Piers: Sharon said she wanted to see acts behaving like stars, tonight, and you just did it. This is the serious business part of the show.
Sharon: As usual perfection. You never let us down. Seeing you last week, this week... How many days have you had to turn this dance around? (about a week).
Howie: I'm glad I can inspire you. I apologize ... It WAS perfection. I wasn't creeped out this week. There was no inappropriate touching. I'm the father of two little girls, and there wasn't any inappropriate touching. You did great.
(These kids are excellent. I think I said it before, but, they make some of those on Dancing with the Stars look more like dunces. ;-) )

Segment #2

Christina and Ali - Sister singers, both with Cystic Fibrosa
Performing When You Believe (There Will Be Miracles) by Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey
Sharon: You made it. I think that your performance has got stronger since the last time I saw you.
Howie: I agree with Sharon. That being said, at this level in the competition, the others are doing things so spectacular... Hopefully it was good enough to get you back.
Piers: It wasn't great. But every time I try to buzz you, your big eyes look back at me, and you hit the big note, and I can't.
(I like them a lot, but it seemed off a bit. We'll see.)

Segment #3

Antonio Restivo (Magician/Illusionist who uses flame)
Howie: It's a very Vegasy... I'm gonna be honest, you make me laugh. Here you have the fire all over, your very angry, you have the girls tie you up, force you into that ... and you escape... and with all that going on, youo entertain us.
Piers: We've had loads of magic acts that haven't made it because they're too small. Where are the big acts? I think it's you, Antonio.
Sharon: I wonder what it's like at your house when you barbeque?
(He does bigger and bigger tricks, all with fire. This was VERY "Vegas". I think it took a tad too long to set up (once he was in the sarcophagus), but... He's got a great chance.)

Segment #4

Future Funk - Hip-hop Dancers (8 and 10, I think)
Piers buzzed. just before the lights went out,a nd they use LEDs (tail end of the dance).
Piers: I realize I haven't got the full support of the room here... Here's the deal. We are now at a very important stage. And if it was America's Got Cute Dancers, you two would win. I think you are going to be great in the future, but for now...
Sharon: It's been such a while since we saw you, I actually forgot how young you were. What you do is fantastic. I think you're going to have your own sitcom.
Howie: Cuteness. This is America. America may vote you through just on your cuteness. But I don't know if you'll think it's so cute when you're 36. But you are adorable.
(Yeah, they are. That's the big thing they have going for them, right now. The older one can breakdance/spin on his head like crazy. The young one's getting there, but for the most part, is just cute. If America votes "cuteness" they're in.)

Segment #5

Taylor Mathews - Singer
Perfoming piano and "Show Me What I'm Looking For" by Carolina Liar
Sharon: I really enjoyed that performance. Thank you. I think that you're very natural.
Howie: My feeling at this level is you have to wow us. I don't think you did something tonight that people will be talking about, tomorrow. You have to wow us.
Piers: Do you feel under pressure. I didn't not enjoy your performance. I went back and watched your audition. You were having fun, smiling. And tonight, it was very serious. You've got to learn to relax.
(Not sure I liked the song-choice, but he didn't do badly. I thought he was flat in a few places. But adding piano into his act, and not "hiding" behind a guitar for the latter part (just a mic)... he's growing, and seems to be getting more comfortable, even if he is nervous. He's got a chance, though.)

Segment #6

Conner Doran - Kite Dancer
Piers buzzed
Piers: When I was watching it today, it's funny. It's all about song choice. It wasn't moving that much. I do like you, and I have enjoyed some of your acts.
Howie: I love about what you do. It's very etherial, when you have that classical, instrumental music. I agree with him. I don't know that it goes with pop music.
Sharon: I loved your music choice. It was nice to shake it up a bit and use more pop music. I adore you.
(His act doesn't change all that much. And I think they're right. The song choice was off a bit.)

Dan Sperry - Magician (strange persona)
Nick was a "volunteer"
Piers buzzed.
Piers: It was one of the most pathetic tricks I've ever seen. It was one of the worst fake arms I've ever seen.
Sharon: The thing I liked best was the robot lady.
Howie: You know that I'm this close to being a fan of yours, you know... Because of the floss thing. But I loved the character - like from a Tim Burton movie. To up your game, we've got to know who YOU are.
(The robot lady was in the way, he was in the way, things took a bit too long. And he wasn't as "intense" as he was last time. Howie's got it. So, IF he makes it through, he's got to stay in that weird "Tim Burton-esque" character. I don't think he will, though.)

Segment #7

Kristina Young - Singer
Buzzed off. (Strange song choice)
Sharon: I buzzed you because that version of Poker Face. Nobody can come close to that. Even though you tried to change the arrangement.
Howie: I apologize. You don't have the same advantage as the other people because you just came last week from YouTube. I don't know if it's the song-choice...
Piers: Keep trying. Keep taking risks. Don't give up.
(Yeah... Bad song choice, I think.)

Moving to another studio, because the next act is so dangerous.

Segment #8

ArcAttack (Electric Musicians)
Performs

And now everyone goes back to the main studio

Segment #9

Judging
Howie: Yeah, you do stun the judges. My worry is what you do doesn't really play on television. I don't know if the people are going to vote.
Piers: What Howie said is right to a certain extent. I think we've had a fair average semi-final. I think you're one of the best, and you'll be back.
Sharon: You are a very weird group... Geeks, kooks, etc. I think you need to have more performance art.
(It looks great. I wish I were there. I do think it doesn't translate well to TV. The sound comes from the lightning. That's so cool...)

Michael Grimm - singer
Got food poisoning, so couldn't reherse. Throat looked very red. Had a bout of strep throat.
Performed "You Can Leave Your Hat On"
Piers: If that's how you sing when you're ill, you need to get sick more often. What I like, you don't change. You know exactly what you are, are comfortable in your own skin.
Sharon: Tonight you enganged. I've always loved your voice. My problem has been your performance.
Howie: I have been waiting all night, and I think the audience has been, waiting for a moment. And you're it.
(He did very well. I think he's in.)

Segmennt #10

AscenDance - Rock-Wall Dancers
Piers buzzed
Sharon: You know I adore your originality. But I must say tonight I didn't like your music. Everything was perfect, but it didn't have that spark.
Howie: I think it was the tempo. With the upbeat music, you don't get that.
Piers: For the first time, I found it boring. Music wasn't as good. Performance was disjointed. And I wasn't feeling it tonight.
(Seemed a little slow. I think they had, as one judge said, more "dangerous" look to them before. They stretched from the wall more, and were in more synch. The second time, they added two people, and they do some of the "stunts", but not as intricately as the main performers, and I think they're a distraction, too. I think either the wall needs to be bigger, or they need to go back to two people, almost. We'll see.)

Segment #11

Last contestant - Prince Poppycock (Operatic singer)
(It's just so strange to see him out of makeup.)
Operatic and last part of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody
Standing Ovation - Crowd and Judges
Howie: I think he said it best when he said "Nothing really matters, but you".
Piers: I didn't think anyone could out-camp Freddie Mercury. You're crackers.
Sharon: I think you are the male, Lady Gaga.
(Interesting take. Few have tried to do this operatically. He really camped it up. I liked it. We already know he can sing opera. Now he proved he can do certain pop songs, too.)

--

My choices: Anna and Patryk, Antonio Restivo, ArcAttack, Michael Grimm, Prince Poppycock

Results show tomorrow, with Jimmy Fallon, Recycled Percussion (from last year), and Kylie Minogue.
Cya then! ;-)

No comments: