Tuesday, July 12, 2011

America's Got Talent (AGT) (2011) - 6th Season (07/12/2011)

The first LIVE show from Hollywood.
The first 12 Contestents (of 48) tonight.

Some links:
America's Got Talent at NBC
Full Episodes, Clips and Videos
Official America's Got Talent Facebook page

Opening Segment
Montage of the acts tonight

The Acts
Miami All Stars
Dezmond Meeks
Those Funny Little People
The Fearless Flores Family
Squonk Opera
J Chris Newberg
Snap Boogie
Echo of Animal Gardens
The Fiddleheads
DuoAero
Anna Graceman
Sandou Trio Russian Bar

Introduction by Nick.
Winner gets $1,000,000 and the chance to headline a show in Las Vegas.
Judges are introduced - Piers Morgan, Sharon Osborne, and Howie Mandal.

12 acts fighting for 4 spots in semi-finals.

Piers: I've seen the lineup for tonight. This is one of the most dangerous we've had.
If any act gets three Xes, the performance is over, but we can still vote for them.

Miami All Stars - Dance Group
They only got two hours of rehersal
Good job. I didn't see any flubs.
Piers: I thought that was fabulous - sexy, fun, exactly as I dance. You'll have to keep doing that kind of performance.
Sharon: Just spectacular. Great precision. I told you this before - The men dance like real men.
Howie: Mucho Caliente. Very hot. I can only imagine what it would become if you had time. You're fabulous.

Commercials / Segment #2

Dezmond Meeks - Pianist/Singer
Always grew up as an outcast because of the way he dressed.
"Satisfaction" (Stones)
Stands playing piano and singing, then dances across stage, singing surrounded by girl dancers.
Good job.
Sharon: I would never have known you were shaking. You have amazing stage presence and confidence. However, it's a fine line between being too caberet and too cheesy. Less is more.
Howie: I agree with everything Sharon said, but I think you crossed the line. It was a little cheesy for me.
Piers: What a load of old tosh. The whole point of you is you are a caberet act. Brilliant voice, piano. It's not cheesy, it's entertainment, and you are talented.

Commercials / Segment #3

Those Funny Little People - Elf costume/Performance Group mostly dancers
Piers: I don't like them, they're not funny, and there's nothing they can do to change my mind.
"Singing in the Rain"
Piers buzzed
"It's Raining Men" (Girl elf)
Cute.
Howie - standing ovation, as do most of the audience.
Howie: The reason I enjoyed it, the thing is you're aware that you annoy Piers.
Piers: I uh... I don't really understand why they're called "Funny Little People". They're not funny, they're not little, and they're not people. They're very annoying.
Sharon: Piers knows annoying because he is. The fact you annoy him, makes me love you more.

Commercials / Segment #4

The Fearless Flores Family - Motorcycles - Parents and kids
Mom will join the kids in the sphere tonight. Dad goes in and
First kids are in alone, holding a sheet.
Then Dad and Mom go it. Dad standing in the middle, Mom on another cycle.
Piers: Incredible. We are 10 yards closer than in the audition. You always step it up. I'd like to see you step it up one more time. I'd like to see Howie standing in the middle. (Boy is 6yo).
Sharon: Very dangerous, but where do you go from here. (All kinds of ideas.) Ok.
Howie: Very dangerous. Amazing. Spectacular.
Dad: I love what they're saying. I want them to tell us what they want to see us do, so we can make this the best act ever.

Commercials / Segment #5

Squonk Opera (Music/Art/Opera)
Hard to describe.
Piers and Sharon buzzed.
Sharon: I appreciate the excentricity you bring. But that song with the fusion, I know you wrote it, but I think it's the wrong thing, because it wasn't very good. But I do like you because you're all nuts.
Howie: In the beginning, I liked it, and just before I was going to buzz, you sir came out with that chair...
Piers: As usual, it's up to me to be the reality check. This is what hell is like. It would have you killing the piano, you singing up there, and then you... It was bonkers.
They tell Piers to loosen up a bit, smiling.

Commercials / Segment #6

J Chris Newberg - Comedian/comic songs
Plays guitar and makes jokes...
Piers buzzed.
Chris has a choir of kids, all with beards like his
Song: That's Probably A Bad Idea
Howie: I'm a comedian, I know that comedy is objective. I would buy a ticket. The fact that he buzzed you, don't worry. He didn't get it.
Piers: Startlingly inappropriate. You bring out a bunch of cute kids to mask the fact that you aren't funny... This whole act is a "bad idea".
Chris: That really hurts me inside... Then I figure out I'm kidding.
Sharon: That song is just so so wrong. However, I liked it. You're very dark and naughty, but I like you.
(How'd it go?) I thought it went very well, including annoying Piers.

Snap Boogie - Street "pop" Dancer
Hurt his thigh (felt a pop) during rehersal
Great job!
Piers: The reason I get quite annoyed by Sharon and Howie. We are trying to find the next great American act. Often solo dancers get a bad rap. That performance could be in Vegas tomorrow.
Sharon: I think that what you do goes over and above Vegas. You're a fantastic young man, I admire you very much.
Howie: I ditto everything my partners have said. It is so slick, it is so professional. You're edgy, sleek, you're a star.

Commercials / Segment #7

Echo of Animal Gardens - Parrot
Echo didn't perform well in Vegas. He was put through based on his audition.
They've brought Binky, his girlfriend, so there's not another Vegas.
Binky sits on a stand and keeps getting fed.
Sharon: This show is absolutely fabulous. Where else would you see a parrot singing "Over the Rainbox".
Howie: Here's my question: You did well in auditions, and then in Vegas, you had a problem. Are you a million dollar act, or a very good birthday party?
Piers: This kind of proves my point. Echo is funnier than most of the human comedians we've had on tonight.

Commercials / Segment #8

The Fiddleheads - Bluegrass Band
Howie: The singer stands out. The rest of the group will have to up their game.
MJ's "Billie Jean" with background music in Bluegrass style.
Interesting version. Pretty good, I thought.
Howie: I'll be honest. I think you made a mistake. When you pick a song that's so synonimous with performance and dance...
Piers: I think he's partly there. I thought it was a good interpretation. Here's the problem. That's a big song. You have to hit the big notes, and you didn't. That was my problem. I didn't object to the song choice, I objected to the way you sang it.
Sharon: I don't like the way you're dressed. Don't try to be something you're not. Go back to the way you were, because I loved you.

Commercials / Segment #9

DuoAero - Aerialists
About 20 feet above the stage. Several releases, drops and catches.
Piers buzzed.
Piers: I just got a little bored with it. You're very good at what you do, but you didn't step up from the audition.
Sharon: When I first saw you, you were an aerial act that was modern, sexy, fresh... And you turned yourself into an old time aerial act..
Howie: I agree with both of the others. I didn't see anything amazing.
(If we get through to the next round, we'll show you more exciting stuff.)

Commercials / Segment #10

Anna Graceman - Pianist/Singer/Songwriter and not 11yo, yet.
From Juneau, Alaska. She made a mistake on the piano in Vegas. She can't make any more mistakes at this level.
"What A Wonderful World"
WOW. I could never play like that!
Howie, standing O.
Sharon: How old are you again? Just 11? I can't believe it. You're a little tiny peanut with this beautiful voice.
Howie: I thought the song was a great choice. It's a wonderful world to hear and listen to you. You are a phenomenom. And now the acronym AGT stands for Anna's Got Talent.
Piers: 4'-4" girl singing Louis Armstrong, and singing it beautifully. Thats' what AGT is all about.

Commercials / Segment #11

Sandou Trio Russian Bar - Russian Bar
One of the most dangerous acts we've ever had.
Sharon: She's being thrown 30' into the air with no safety net.
Bar is 4" wide. Husband, wife and friend.
They are doing this over a bed of nails, tonight.
Then she sets the nails on fire.
WOW!
Standing Ovation by the judges.
Howie: The fact that you're alive and not punctured is amazing. You could die doing that. No other act
Piers: We were talking tonight how you could top what you did. Most exciting thing we've seen in a long time.
Sharon: Beautiful to look at. I've never seen anything like it before.

Four go to the semi-finals, eight go home, and a couple of national acts perform tomorrow.

My picks:
Dezmond Meeks. The Fearless Flores Family, Anna Graceman, Sandou Trio Russian Bar
My wife is getting ready to go down to Evansville, meet the new grandson, and spend some time with the "old" (almost 5yo) granddaughter, so wasn't paying near enough attention to everyone to vote.
She saw a fews, and likes: The Fiddleheads and Anna Graceman.

Cya then!

No comments: