Tuesday, July 19, 2011

America's Got Talent (AGT) (2011) - 6th Season (07/19/2011) - Live Show #2

Second Live Show from Hollywood
Second set of 12 acts. Only 4 will make it through.
Three voted on by America, and one by the judges.

links:
America's Got Talent at NBC
Full Episodes, Clips and Videos
Official America's Got Talent Facebook page

Opening Segment
Montage of the acts who won last week and from tonight.

Attack Dance Crew
Dani Shay
Geechy Guy
Daniel Joseph Baker
Rhinestone Ropers
Dylan Andrea
Smage Brothers Riding Show
Thomas John
Steve Retchless
Mona Lisa
Silhouettes

First up
Attack Dance Crew
Piers: I backed you from the start, against my none-drilling friends. Some of it looked a mess - needs to be tighter. I can see you're working hard on this. I wouldn't worry too much about the big jumps. Tighter, more choreography, that's what I want to see.
Sharon: I have to say the choreography wasn't spectacular. I need it be spectacular for you to stand out from all other dance groups on TV.
Howie: I was going to say everything Piers said... I don't really get it. It seems like a really good cheerleading team. I don't think it works as dance as well.
(They're ok, but I'll bet there are some better tonight I'd like to put through.)

Commercials / Segment #2

AGT is going to be on a Nationwide search for next year. Sign up now.

Dani Shay - Female Singer (Bieber look-alike)
"Babylon"
Sharon: She did amazing. You know I'm a huge fan anywey. I love your purity. You sing with great passion. You sing with your heart. I love that about you.
Howie: I think you're a great star. I think you're a person who wants to say something. I don't know that the younger people will connect with the song choice.
Piers: On the plus side, I think it's a good performance. On the negative side, I thought there were some notes that were off-key. If you want to win the show, you have to connect to the audience. It wasn't great. It wasn't bad, just wasn't great. (He mentioned choices, too.)

Commercials / Segment #3

Geechy Guy - Comedian
Piers buzzed.
Howie: I loved that you saved the poop for the close. I always say the same thing, comedy is subjective. You're a very good comic and you deserve to make a living.
Piers: Listening to you routine is like being smashed over the head by a giant hammer every five seconds. One of the singularly unfunny things I've ever had to watch.
Sharon: I like your suit. You clean up very well. The jokes... You're silly, they're silly, I like your silliness.
Geechy - Since I don't know what Piers does for a living, I'm going to have to take the word of the professional comedian. (GET HIM, Geechy!)

Commercials / Segment #4

Daniel Joseph Baker - Singer/performer
Sharon: He's so exuberant. I hope that doesn't turn people off.
"The Edge of Lonely"
Piers: You've only performed at home. Have you ever performed for any big audience like this? How does it make you feel? The reason I ask, when you come out, you have that fire in your belly... The singing wasn't quite there, you missed a few notes, but I liked it.
Sharon: I just adore you. You are a very special person because you are a star. It's very very hard to find someone who has it all going on like you.
Howie: You're like the next Lady Guy-Guy. You are a star. When you get behind the piano, it's like something comes out of you, and that's where you need to be.
Nick: Where does the energy come from? (From my parents)

Commercials / Segment #5

The Rhinestone Ropers - Cowboy show act
Piers buzzed
(Lost Americana. The Cowboy Show)
Sharon: Lucky Joe (the horse) is quite magnificent. When I was watching you, it reminded me of Parenthood when Steve Martin was entertaining the kids.
Howie: Here's the thing. You came to us last time, with guns and knives, and then ... It wasn't exciting. I think you didn't step it up from this audition.
Piers: That was a complete train wreck of an act. You twirled a rope around your head. Tonight, you just completely blew it. That was not a $1,000,000 act. That was worth about $5.
(I haven't seen an act like that for years. I know what he was trying to do, but in studio, they had to scale it back a bit, since they were using a live animal. Piers is in a pissy mood tonight. He asked if they'd accept that they'd blown it. I don't think so. I'd like to see them again, and may have to vote for them, just to piss Piers off.)

Commercials / Segment #6

Dylan Andre - Singer/Musician
(He's only been singing a year. He wants to do it for his mother who was given a chance at a contract when she was young, but her father - his father - wouldn't let her sign.)
"Mothers Be Good To Your Daughters, Too"
Howie: He did good. He can sing. I think you were a little flat at one point. I think I can tell you've only done it for a year. I think you're good. You shouldn't quit. But I don't know if it's a million $ performance.
Piers: I think it's perfectly pleasant, I'd like to see you in a bar, but I don't think it's (the right caliber) for AGT.
Sharon: I love the song. I don't think you're confident in yourself, yet. I think it was perfectly pleasant.
(He said he's taking all the judges say as constructive criticism, since he's never had it before.
I don't know about the song choice, here. I like him, but...)

Landon Swank - Magician
He came through a mirror.
Piers: Can we see the other side? (where Nick signed his last name). It's still there, as is Nick's signature on the front. I liked you in the first rounds, because I can't figure out how you do it. I liked it.
Sharon: I didn't quite understand what was going on. I was a little confused. It was very interesting, because I'm still confused.
Howie: Your magic is great. I don't know if the presentation was as good as before.

Commercials / Segment #7

Smage Brothers Riding Show - Motorcycles
Howie and Sharon (and audience) Standing Ovation
Sharon: Wow! Exciting. So dangerour.
Piers: Are you ok? Did he just drive on your head.
Sharon: Amazing.
Howie: Amazing. It really is! I just hopes it translates on TV. It's a great act. It really is.
Piers: It's been a pretty mediocre night, so far, and we've been waiting for something to wake us up. And you did it. We already heard excuses from the guy with the horse. And you did this all in the same confined space. Great!

Commercials / Segment #8

Thomas John - Juggler (was going to be a literary professor)
Piers: What I like about him is he's funny, and zany.
Piers buzzed - He dropped a pin
Sharon buzzed at the end
Howie: At the end, did you mean to throw them away that fast or did they fall. You had a little trouble, but you're funny and entertaining.
Piers: Terrible. It was terrible, and when you dropped them three times (twice)...
Sharon: The problem is I really like you, but tonight it was a little slow between parts.
(I think my timing was off a little tonight, but I think that's ok.)

Commercials / Segment #9

Steven Retchless - Male Pole Dancer (Strength and Grace)
It takes a lot of effort to make it look effortless.
Does some dancing on the floor, too.
Piers buzzed
Sharon - Standing ovation.
Piers: I have tried... (Audience and Sharon boo) ... If I may speak. I ahve tried to appreciate this act. There's a reason there are no pole dancers in America. There's a reason. Howie sprays water at him.
Sharon: That was spectacular. I bow down to you. Spectacular.
Howie: I don't know how to describe it. You're a cross between Lady Gaga and a firefighter. Last year we had Prince Poppycock... Now we have Prince Poleycock.
(Nice act, I thought)

Commercials / Segment #10

Mona Lisa - Twins - Singers
"Broken Road"
Sharon: I think they did really really well. Great harmonies. You're young, good looking, great singers. And you need the right song. You've got everything going for you.
Howie: I have nothing critical to say. You have to do things to stand out. That's the greatness of this show, and that's the toughness of this show.
Piers: A little lacking in the Wow factor. I'm always looking at this stage for something to make me go WHOA! It was nice, but...
(I think they have a chance. There's seldom a WOW factor with singers on this show.)

Commercials / Segment #11

Last act.
Silhouettes - Dance group - Youngest is 3yo.
Parents & Grandparent who served in the military in the audience tonight.
"American Pride"
WOW! Standing Ovation from EVERYONE, including the judges.
Piers: We've had quite a long night tonight and not much has been good. Then at the very end... That was just complete genius. I loved it. A world class act. I loved it.
Sharon: I just don't understand why all those little girls are crying (I'm happy). Just brilliant, and I applaud you.
Howie: Original, unique, there's no other words to describe you. You are worthy of your own show.
(It's amazing. We're so honored to be here.)

You've seen tonight's quarter-finalists. Only four will go through to the next round.

Howie: Tonight is off the hook. Look at that stage. There are at least 4 standout acts that you can't see anywhere else. (He named off four. I won't here.)

My choices: Daniel Joseph Baker, Rhinestone Ropers, Smage Brothers Riding Show, Silhouettes, though Steven Retchless and Geechy Guy were good, too. Maybe I'm not as picky as Piers. Let America decide.

See you tomorrow for the Results show! ;-)

No comments: