Tuesday, August 16, 2011

America's Got Talent (AGT) (2011) - 08/16/2011 - Wildcard (2nd Chance) Show

Links:
America's Got Talent at NBC
Full Episodes, Clips and Videos
Official America's Got Talent Facebook page

The acts:
The Kinetic King
Those Funny Little People
Avery and the Calico Hearts
Seth Grabel
Shevonne
West Springfield Dance Team
J Chris Newberg
Yellow Designs Stunt Team
Charles Peachock
The Fiddleheads
Summerwind Skippers
Landon Swank

Opening Segment

Judges chose twelve of the acts that didn't make it through the first time that they thought maybe should have. Each judge brought back four. If they don't make it tonight, that's it.

Judges introduction.

Piers? Confident about your picks? Yes. But my collegues weren't so rigerous.

First up
The Kinetic King (brought back by Piers)
Piers: He's either totally brilliant, or an utter disaster.
KK: Been obsessing over his last disaster. The only way past it is to go even bigger.
It works! Judges standing ovation.
Piers bows to the king.
Piers: KK, everyone in America doubted you after the last time. Tonight, you proved you're the king... you're the man.
Sharon: What can I say? I bow down to you, my king.
Howie: There's no man in America you can hand a soda can, a popsickle stick, and a ball to who can do what you do.
KK: (How do you feel?) I went from the fetal position to wanting to go into the fetal position of victory right now (and he does).
[It's a great act, but it takes so long to set up, and is over so quickly. How could he sustain a 90 minute act in Vegas?]

Commercials / Segment #2

One of Howie's favorites
Those Funny Little People
Of course Piers buzzed, and covered his face.
"Constantinople"
Howie: IU don't know how proud I should be. To be honest, I didn't see a lot of the act, because I was watching Piers' face. I cannot say how entertained I was by Piers' eyes. A lot of acts can't elicit that type of emotion.
Piers: These little people should be with the person who brought them back and turned the show into a mockery.
Sharon: I feel you definitely brought in the big guns. What can I say about the camel. Very nice.
[Its a fun group, but not at the expense of better ones just to piss off Piers]

Commercials / Segment #3

Sharon's first pick
Avery and the Calico Hearts
Sharon: I had to bring them back. They're adorable and I love them.
Howie: I don't know that they're a headline act. They're more like a Saturday morning show.
"Dynamite" (A-o/Echo)
Piers is an asshole... Buzzed 'em.
Sharon: I am so proud you are my pick. You make me smile. You make me happy. You are very talented. You did great.
Piers Ogre: (Are you going to buzz every act that's not yours? - Sharon: Of course he is.) Ladies, let me address the ladies. I really like you. It's not personal. I honestly think it's a little early. When your voices mature, I really think we're going to see you again.
Howie: I think they're adorable, and I think they deserve a TV show. But I don't think they deserve a buzz. (Piers: But you don't think people in fuzzy suits deserve a buzz.)
Avery: So amazing to be back again. Thank you Sharon.

Commercials / Segment #4

Tomorrow: The cast of Les Miserable

Howie's pick
Seth Grabel - Magician
Howie: I felt incredibly guilty I sent Seth home. I wondered how I could make it up to him. Bring him back!
He brings out three kids that look and are dressed like the judges.
Howie: Wow. I don't want to take all of the credit but I think I did good by bringing you back. I think you showed I have good taste.
Piers: I thought it was exactly like Howie. A lot of show. A lot of flash, but when you examine the content, it's lacking.
Sharon: She talks to the little girl dressed like her. You could do anything. All I care about is those little people up there. You've got my vote.

Commercials / Segment #5

Sharon's pick
Shevonne - Singer (let go in Vegas)
Sharon: Took my breath away. I hope that people realize that this is the first time you've performed on this stage. You have a great range in your voice, and you're beautiful. I'm just so happy you cambe back for us, because I think you did yourself proud.
Howie: In listening to you, I think we made a mistake in letting you go in Vegas. I'm thrilled Sharon brought you back.
Piers: I find myself in a very unusual position of agreeing with Howie. It was a little pitchy in parts, but that's why we liked you, and we may have been wrong in Vegas. With a little more work, I think you could be great.

Commercials / Segment #6

Sharon's pick
West Springfield Dance Team (the "scary" dance team)
WSDT: Something like this usually takes us 6 months to work out. We're doing this in 6 days.
Sharon: First of all I have to say you are the first theme horror dance team I've ever seen. I think it's unique, and there's an audience for it.
Howie: You're very good, as Sharon said. I don't think this is a step up from the last performance.
Piers: Sorry. I'm agreeing with Howie again. Howie has a good point. I like the theme, but overall, I don't think it's better than last performance.
[I agree. They have a good act, but I think the "only a week to get this together" thing got them.]

Howie's pick
J Chris Newberg
Piers: I am pretty confident, no matter what he does tonight, I'm going to hate it.
He roasts Piers, and does a good job of it.
They keep showing Piers, and he tries to keep from smiling.
Howie: You brought it. That was funny. Each time you brought something different, but that beats them all.
Piers: Let me be honest here (Howie buzzes him). Deeply offensive, woefully inaccurate, and funny.
Sharon: (Was hiding under the table.) You've got balls of steel. Amazing. It was very good... Very very good.
[Oh, that was GREAT. He's got one of my votes tonight!)

Commercials / Segment #7

Sharon's pick
Yellow Designs Stunt Team - BMX Bikers
Sharon: I brought these guys back because I love the concept... And they proved to me that BMX biking does belong in the theater.
[One of the guys fell again, but Piers didn't buzz]
Sharon: This is the first time I've ever seen a pirate on a BMX, and it works. I've said it before, you guys really do belong here.
Howie: I agree. I love that you've taken BMX and added a story.
Piers: What is quite strange is this is the only act where you make a mistake, it reminds me of how dangerous this all is. I felt the movement you've made in this competition is better than almost any act.

Commercials / Segment #8

Piers' choice
Charles Peachock - Juggler
CP: Knew it was a risk going away from the dangerous juggling. They want danger, danger's coming.
Dropped a knife while he had a sword spinning over his head, and couldn't pick it up.
Piers: Honestly I think you blew it. Normally I buzz jugglers when you drop something. I didn't because I brought you back. But when you only do two big tricks and flub one of them, it's glaring. (I know.)
Sharon: I know it's a very dangerous trick, and I do feel for you. But very nice to see you again.
Howie: There's not much more to say. I'm sorry you dropped it.
[But I'd choose him over some of the others... We'll see. I mean, he was spinning a sabre sword over his head on the tip of a long straight sword, and was starting to juggle 3 knives when one dropped. GEEZE!]

Commercials / Segment #9

Howie's last pick
The Fiddleheads - Bluegrass band
Howie: They deserve one more change. Reason is they didn't do what they normally do.
F: We've already been eliminated so we know what that's like. We don't want to go through that again.
Piers buzzed, of course.
Howie: The reason I picked them was I wanted to give them a chance. I think tonight you brought it. This audience was all on it's feet.
Piers: This group doesn't work as a group. (Booed by audience.) I said from the start that I think you are a good lead singer, but the group doesn't work.
Sharon: No I don't (agree with Piers). I felt tonight you were back in your comfort zone. (Piers argues, saying he should be in a different type of group.)
FH: These guys are awesome. They're better than I am.

Commercials / Segment #10

Piers' pick
Summerwind Skippers - Jump Ropers
Piers: Wasn't a big fan until the first live show. I think they deserve another chance.
SS: Bringing in an element of danger. (Flaming jump rops)
Piers: The reason I brought you back is you made it come alive for me. You made a big mistake, you know it, but it's how you recover. If you can recover well, the audience will come with you.
Sharon: When you first auditioned, I thought "Who were these people". And, if I may quote Piers: "Skipping is sexy".
Howie: I didn't see how skipping could be a show. Tonight you changed my mind. You are a headlining show.
SS: We're totally excited. We did what we came to do. We're super-stoked right now.

Commercials / Segment #11

Final act - Piers' choice
Landon Swank - Illusionist/Magician
Piers: Amazed he didn't make it. He's slick.
Howie: He's got to be bigger and better.
Underwater, hands behind back, neck changed to floor of tank.
Piers: I'm so glad I'm the one to bring you back. You're a natural magician.
Sharon: Landon, darling, now that's what I call sexy. You are a sexy magician. Fabulous trick.
Howie: I want to say that that was fabulous. We do not have a quota. I think Seth did a great job. The other magician did great. it's not a contest between Piers and me. (Piers: Yes it is.) Howie: Why are you... America... There's not a quota. There can be two magicians. You can choose any kind of act. Pick of the phone and put through who you like.

That's it.

Tomorrow, the results show.

My choices: J Chris Newberg, Yellow Designs Stunt Team, Charles Peachock, Landon Swank
Of course, there are others I wouldn't mind seeing go through, but I thought these were the best, tonight.

Cya then. ;-)

No comments: