Tuesday, August 23, 2011

America's Got Talent (AGT) (2011) - 08/23/2011 - Semi-Finals #1

Links:
America's Got Talent at NBC
Full Episodes, Clips and Videos
Official America's Got Talent Facebook page

--

The first semi-finalists perform.

The acts tonight:
Zuma Zuma
Beth Ann Robinson
Spandau Trio Russian Bar
Kevin Colis
Matt Wilhelm
PopLyfe
West Springfield Dance Team
Melissa Villasenor
Team iLuminate
Daniel Joseph Baker
Miami All-Stars
Lys Agnes

Opening Segment
Montage of tonight's acts interspersed with judges pointing out about pressure and more.

LIVE FROM HOLLYWOOD
12 acts face off. Every week they've had to raise their game.
5 acts will go through to the finals.

Sharon (about the semi-finals): Tough isn't the right word. The atmosphere is dangerous backstage. Everyone is looking at each other... Being good isn't good enough. We don't want predictability and we don't want safe.

First up:
Zuma Zuma - Dance/acrobatic group
Lost one of the members. He fell and landed on his head and broke his neck and died (3 years ago). They want to make him proud.
Wow. Acrobatic for sure.
Piers: What I want to know is, which one of you guys has the rubber body? You're the bendy guy. That's incredible. We look for acts that get better, the audience gets engaged with. For the first act tonight, I think you've done it.
Sharon: I think you're all made of rubber... I love what you do. However, I don't think tonight's performance was better than last time, but I still enjoyed it.
Howie: I think what you do is phenomenal. But tonight, it was lethargic, slower than last time. But I think you're amazing.
[It was a little slower, but I think it was more dangerous.]

Commercials / Segment #2

Nick asks for tryouts for auditions for next year.

Beth Ann Robinson - Dancer
Here to prove a solo dance act can win this competition.
Dance isn't just about moving your body. I put my heart and sole into it.
Nice. She's gorgeous.
Sharon: Another flawless performance from you. I just hope everyone who votes tonight takes into account how hard and dedicated... How dedicated you are.
Howie: One word came out of my mouth... Beautiful. You are beautiful. You're mesmerising. When you dance, you seem to be beyond your years. The question is, how will America feel how this backs up against everything else. I love what you do.
Piers: America should be very proud. Now we're trying to find an act worth $1M dollars. While I was watching you, I don't think we've ever had, in the 6 years we've done the show, a dancer as technically perfect as you.
She said normally, a dance like that takes up to a year. In the competition, she only had a couple of days to put it together.
[She is an excellent dancer, mixing a bit of gymnastics, contortionism, and ballet into it all. I hope America takes note.]

[Man, this is gonna be tough tonight. I already want the first two acts to go through!]

Commercials / Segment #3

Tomorrow - Jenny Lavato, the New Boys, and Prince Poppycock will perform.
Top 5 acts will go through to the top 10.

Spandau Trio Russian Bar
Sharon: I have no idea what they're gonna do to top the last time.
Tonight, they say she will play piano, singing, while the piano flies all over.
Howie: Talk about risk.
Sharon: No one risks their life on the bar like that only to change it up this much.
STRB: No one want to see the same act over and over. I know I don't. There's not much more we can do with the bar.
Piers buzzed.
Howie: Um... You know I'm a big fan of the STRB. You weren't going for comedy here? (No) I think youi made a bad choice. This does not even compare to anything you've ever done.
Piers: Biggest suicide on the show, ever. We didn't vote you through on a spinning piano and you guys spinning through the air, like that.
Sharon: It was disappointing. You're all adults, you make your own decisions... But you came in and you're a mediocre singer. You took a risk and it was dangerous, and I admire your risk.
STRB: I am happy with our decision. We did what we could with the Russian Bar, and there's not much more we could do. So... (They wanted to show they are more than just the Russian Bar.)
[Wow. Like she said, there's not much more they could do with the bar, but I think they should have been more acrobatic. I also understand this could be a "rest break" from the acrobatics, but still... I doubt they'll go through unless someone else messes up. Too bad.]

Commercials / Segment #4

Kevin Colis - Singer (from the YouTube show)
Just a few weeks ago, he was performing in front of his computer. Now he's just a couple of songs from a million dollars. He knows he's up against a lot of great performers (singers).
"Sway to the Rhythm of Love"
Piers buzzed.
Piers: Were you very nervous? (yes). I felt the occasion may be a bit much for you. You missed a few notes in the beginning, then got better.
Sharon: Your performance tonight reminded me something like the Wiggles. Very sweet, very nice, but bland and forgettable. You do have a very good voice.
Howie: The issue is this... You were very lucky to be part of the YouTube show. A lot of them didn't perform up to par. And I don't think you were up to par with the rest of the people.
Kevin: Experience has been amazing. There is a dimension of my singing that has not been done, yet. If America brings me back, it will be done.
[Nice song. Nice singing, but the judges were all right. It would be nice to see him make it though at least one more time, if not to the end, but I don't see it at this time. One of the problems singers will have her, especially inexperienced to this large of crowd, is that you have one song to do. There's no chance to get over your nervousness. When I performed, I had a specific song to do that I didn't have to be quiet on, it wasn't quite as high as my other songs, and it was fun. It woke up the audience, and woke up my voice. By the time it was over, I was ready to do slower quieter songs. Singers here don't have that.]

Commercials / Segment #5

Matt Wilhelm - Winner of YouTube Auditions - Stunt Cyclist
Says he'll top last performance by a lot.
This is the ride of my life and I'm gonna ride it until my wheels fall off.
He fell once. THought He came back well.
Sharon: I know that this is a routine that you put together because it was a reflection of what you grew up with - bullying. I'm sad that you fell, but...
Howie: I'm a huge fan of yours. America is a huge fan of yours. I hope America forgives you for the mistake.
Piers: Yeah. I think with certain acts there has to be a little tolerance because of how difficult it is. I don't know that everyone knows just how difficult what you do is. The question is, how long can I watch you do this for. I think that in about 15 minutes, I'd be bored. It's how you could make it a show. I think you're in trouble tonight.
Matt: My whole story is you pick yourself up and keep going. I hope you do put me through because I have something so crazy next time...

Commercials / Segment #6

PopLyfe - Band
You know how most people get butterflies in their stomachs? We have elephants.
They're doing "Come Together" by the Beatles tonight.
If they do it right, they in. If they do it wrong, first flight to ... [wherever they're from]
Sharon and Howie - standing ovation along with most of the crowd.
Howie: Stepping it up. Who knew there was a step of from where they were last time. You're already headliners... You are stars. That was a headlining act. Keep it going.
Piers: The big challenge inthe semi-finals, is you have to choose a song that is so big that if you get it right, it will shoot you foward. I watched you tonight... I just suddenly realized we are watching a band that within the next 2-3 years, will be a huge band in this country.
Sharon: Great great song. I honestly think that I'm looking at a winner here.
PL: We feel blessed to be able to perform. Happy to be able to show everybody.

West Springfield Dance Team - YouTube group
Sharon: Imperative they show me something different tonight.
They are the only act to appear 3 weeks in a row. And they have to come up with something new and different each time, usually in 4 days.
To "Crazy Train" (start) and then more theatrical.
Piers: You seem like such nice people and then YAHHHH. (Had 4 days to choreograph.) I thohgt that the last one wasn't as good as the first one, and I thought this one was better than the last two.
Sharon: It's been three weeks. I feel like I'm part of the team now. WSDT, you pulled it off again. You're choreographers are brilliant. Your timing is always spot on as a team.
Howie: You stand out. You deserve to be here. I think you're going to continue in the competition.
[They are a bit like "Thriller" meets techno and more theatrics at times. They are good at what they do, and it looks like they do have the possibility of a good set of shows. If they can do things like this in only 4 days, what could they do with longer? We'll see.]

Commercials / Segment #7

Melinda Villasenor - Impressionist
Not bad.
Sharon: You did so well tonight. You did the impossible, because the impossible thing to do is make him (Piers) laugh, and he was laughing hard.
Howie: As a stand up comic, you write the stuff, show up here, and perform it. You know I'm a fan.
Piers: The thing that worked tonight is you stuck to 4 impressions you know you can do well. I liked it. America likes it.
[She's very good at what she does. It's a bit jarring when she switches, and not everything is completely funny, but they at least make you smile. We'll see with her.]

Commercials / Segment #8

Team iLuminate
Sharon: One thing I've learned... Last time they were fantasic. This time it has to be better.
New technology onstage tonight.
Standing ovation by audience and judges.
Howie: You know what I just watched? I just watched a million dollars. The only thing that scares me... I just hope that people vote. I hope they don't think that you're so good, you'll make it through. You gotta vote, if you want someone to win...
Piers: The great thing about you is, each time you come with something new. I really think you're an exciting act. I've got every confidence America will vote for you.
Sharon: I just can't believe we have you with us. You should have been famous before. Terry Fator went to Vegas and made a $1M deal... You're (Howie) wrong. They're a $100M act.
[They are good. They are exciting. And as the judges are saying, you have to vote. A number of acts didn't go through because people thought they'd help someone who needed it. (Think Jackie Evancho, last year. He was good, but she WAS better...)

Commercials / Segment #9

Daniel Joseph Baker - Singer
Piers: Daniel is very talented. Unique. And what I want to see from him is a great performance.
Sharon and Howie (and Audience) Standing Ovation
Piers: When you started, I thought what is he doing here. Then as I got into it, I started liking it. In the context of a show, and you are a pure Vegas showman...
Sharon: I really adore you. You make everybody smile when you perform. Plus the fact that you're camp as Christmas. And I love you.
Howie: I've said it before. You are a star. You are yourself. But you can't do anything different. Just be yourself. You're wonderful.
DJB: (A little emotional?) Yes. Because my mother and father are in the audience. This is the first time my father has seen me perform since Houston. And I love them so much.

Commercials / Segment #10

Miami All-Stars - Dance group
We are taking a huge gamble tonight. we are still working on it. It's not perfect yet.
Wow. Standing O by everyone, including Piers.
Sharon: I thought I was watching a movie. The choreography was perfection. Every time I see you guys, I get all worked up. I wish there was something negative, but there isn't.
Howie: As far as dancers, Team iLuminate and you are my favorite dancers.
Piers: I just want to say I think that my favorite performance of the whole night. That was great.
MAS: We have all styles of dancing. Not just ballroom dancing and swing. And if you vote for us, we'll bring something different.
[That was great.]

Commercials / Segment #11

Lys Agnes - Operatic singer
The most her she's felt since she stopped singing when her fiance passed.
Had problems with her throat through the week. Antibiotics from Dr.
Standing Ovation - Everyone.
Sharon: Just when I thought I had seen it all tongiht. You came on. Took my breath away. your confidence.
Piers: Finally. You do something that moves me. It was a theatrical tour-de-force. How America is going to vote will be interesting.
Howie: You know what I want to do to you? (Lys looks surprised.)... NO... No... I want to get her votes!
Lys: I'm just so relieved I could sing through it.

Five acts going through to the top-10...

My votes - This is VERY tough. Too many good acts:
Team iLuminate, Daniel Joseph Baker, Miami All-Stars, PopLyfe and Lys Agnes (not necessarily in that order)
though I wouldn't mind if Zuma Zuma, Matt Wilhelm or West Springfield Dance Team made it.

Wow. America usually gets it right. VOTE.

Cya tomorrow for the results show. ;-)

No comments: